Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Svalbard Longyear ENSB - looking for info (and flying above 70N)

I’m surprised that a modern and expensive piece of equipment like the G1000 doesn’t work above 72N.

In all GA systems the heading ultimately comes from a fluxgate (an AHRS system merely stabilises the fluxgate’s rather wobbly output) and the Q is whether that works in places where the mag field does strange things.

My guess is that the GPS makers have stuck a hard limit in the manuals, and reinforced it by blocking out the basemaps.

As for GPS itself, I would be absolutely amazed if the algorithms changed above 70/72N. The satellites are everywhere.

Even Boeing 737 and 757s have latitude restrictions.

Can’t they fly over the poles? Airliners do that all the time. So there must be more to that.

However, as I suspected, we have done this all before. Post #14 is especially relevant, by @tomjnx who mysteriously and suddenly vanished late 2016

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As I said before, GPS works over the North Pole with no problem, and magnetic flux lines are absolutely not a problem in Svalbard.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

As I said before, GPS works over the North Pole with no problem, and magnetic flux lines are absolutely not a problem in Svalbard.

I am sure the G1000 issues is related to the AHRS and the inability of the G1000 to cope with a “failed” AHRS by reverting to sole GPS navigation.

EGTK Oxford

Looking a bit more into logistics:
- Survival gear: Should I just talk to Far North Aviation? Do you know if they ship (to London, in this case)?
- Where could I rent an O2 system (mostly to be used for weather avoidance)?

Faviken has been booked for the saturday before I’d head further North, so that removes a good deal of time constraints!

Last Edited by Noe at 19 Sep 11:35

You should call them but I suspect collection will be necessary. Not sure if they do arctic gear.

EGTK Oxford

I have a bit of a philosifical view on the Survival equipment at these latitudes, and I think there’s a good saying about it! Looks like only pickup available (but it’s <100nm detour each way, not too bad)

O2 would give me me more piece of mind, but I suspect that’s a tough one to rent. Contacts welcome!

Waiting now to hear drom Norwegian CAA for authorisation.

Any recomendations of survival suits (type of suit)?

The ones I have seen seem to fall into different categories, some seem more fitting than others:

Fitting, neoprene

Loose, apparently to be worn over clothse:

I imagine the loose / over clothes might be a reasonable one to use, especially since one can put down jackets underneath (to patiently wait in the raft).

Are there also specific kinds of rafts one is aware of (must have features, mostly)?

Neo,

For Svalbard it is not just the Norwegian CAA you need permission from, it is also the governor of Svalbard.
As of a few years ago he effectively banned all GA from going there, especially doing any sightseeing as this could disturb the polar bears. (May have changed of course – suggest that you check.)

I was involved with a C210 going to the North Pole (not actually sightseeing on Svalbard) but even there it took several appeals to the minister in Oslo before he over-ruled the governor and permission was granted to go through Svalbard.

Once there the people were great (although horrendously expensive place).

Wx was good almost all the time when we were there although when leaving the wx turned bad and runway covered in ice (taxiways permanently iced up all the time we were there) and windsock horizontal – changed very quickly.

But Svalbard is a beautiful and somewhat surreal place if you get there; would love to go back.

EGGD Bristol, United Kingdom

Michael_J wrote:

I’m surprised that a modern and expensive piece of equipment like the G1000 doesn’t work above 72N.
What about the newer ones? Do they have the same limitations?

I don’t see this limitation for G3000. Only says there’s no terrain database north of 75N.

Any recomendations of survival suits (type of suit)?

I bought one from Viking

It’s comfy GORE-TEX and has an inside liner for warmth. Takes a week or so if you order from one of their dealers. I don’t know if it’s nice and warm when immersed :)

LPFR, Poland

Noe wrote:

I imagine the loose / over clothes might be a reasonable one to use, especially since one can put down jackets underneath (to patiently wait in the raft).

The problem with that is – you won’t get into the raft. I had to wear immersion suits while working in Antarctica and the two takeaways were:
1) if you wear heavy/warm clothes beneath it, you look and feel like Bibendum, the Michelin Man. IOW – pretty much immobile. I would not want to try to get out of a GA airplane and into a raft wearing one of those.
2) you absolutely need a hood. Ice water pouring over your head and into your suit can and will ruin your day very, very quickly.

Sign in to add your message