Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Switzerland to introduce a 500 CHF tax per private flight

Airborne_Again wrote:

It is? Maybe in Switzerland..? In my experience it is unusual for airports to charge pax fees for private flights.

Many airports charge passenger fees. In any case, it is not an unsurmountable problem if the law sais you have to. She claims it can’t be done but at the same time claims you can charge for every take off on the same uncontrolled fields. Both ideas are b.s. of course. The question is, when will they start charging people for carrying passengers in their cars… oh wait, they want to ban those after they are done with aviation.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 03 Oct 13:34
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

after they are done with aviation.

Once they have done with aviation it will then be the time to start on boats, jet skis etc.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The question is, when will they start charging people for carrying passengers in their cars

charging a tax for empty car seats is more like it and it will be up the the driver to try to convince the collector how many were in the car

the ratchet does just seem to move in one direction. I think in many things, the strategy seems to be to ensure they are able to keep an eye on your movements at all times, then charge for them.

I suspect in time it will come for cars too. It would be trivial with newer cars with the sim cards inside linked to the gps.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Many airports charge passenger fees.

I don’t know the airport situation in Switzerland, but in Sweden the majority of airports are unlicensed without any regular staff on site.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Off_Field wrote:

I think in many things, the strategy seems to be to ensure they are able to keep an eye on your movements at all times, then charge for them. I suspect in time it will come for cars too. It would be trivial with newer cars with the sim cards inside linked to the gps.

Absolutely. Switzerland aside (it is a highly regimented place anyway) its clear to me and most observers that this is a strong, or possibly the main, motivation for implementation of US ADS-B OUT. Every move I make in my plane is now tracked and recorded. Obviously aviation often ‘leads’ and exemplifies wider trends and this might ‘stick’ for aviation for a while but I suspect once movement fees start and people wake up to emerging tyranny over individual freedom of movement, there are going to be meaningful court battles to follow, at least in the US. I hope they will stop what looks like hell on earth (no exaggeration from my POV) emerging within a few decades. God knows what will happen in Europe.

Every move I make with my Android phone is recorded by Google. You can opt out of KNOWING your track, but I think the tracking continues.
I’m sure that information is available to top security agencies.
It’s amusing/concerning to see some places Google THINKS I’ve been.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Every move I make with my Android phone is recorded by Google.

And collected/recorded by government as part of an existing mandatory government created program, available and ready for use by any emerging tax program that might come along? That is now becoming the case with ADS-B OUT in the USA.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Oct 20:45

Silvaire wrote:

God knows what will happen in Europe.

I think we already have seen a taste of it in France. Lower standard of living (due to taxes) combined with less freedom and more surveillance of individuals is a recipe for disaster. People gladly accept a lower standard of living if they somehow can increase the quality of living. Without exceptions, this means more freedom, not less.

Many previously hard core environmental activists have given up. They think it’s already too late and have started to prepare themselves for the inevitable (to them) collapse of the society (they believe the environmental damage will cause a collapse of the society first). This means to live as self sufficient and off the grid as possible. IMO they have a valid point. Not that the environment will go bananas, but rather that the stupidity involved in trying to “fix it” will cause irreversible damage to society.

This Swiss proposal of tax on GA is an example of this stupidity. It’s a tax that won’t help the environment one bit, but it will wipe out private GA completely. The symbolic value of making private GA inaccessible to the average citizen with relation to freedom is all too obvious.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Good point Lesving. The problem in France is that « so many are stolen so much from so few ».
This GA tax could have been a French idea (sounds very French) and I am speachless that the swiss got it first. It looks to me as everyone now is ashamed of his way of life/society. Germans are ashamed of their cars, swedish are ashamed of flying to the Baleares, Swiss are ashamed of their jets and big cars….

« On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. » Luke, 21

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 04 Oct 06:52
LFOU, France

Can climate related posts please go to the Climate Change thread.

Keep this one specific to Switzerland and the current 500 SFR tax proposal.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message