Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tail weight (gear check: looking for ideas)

Any owner of a retractable gear plane needs to check the gear on every annual.

And then a tail weight comes into place. I used to borrow a concrete one from a friend but he had to move his plane to the other end of the airfield. It’s ~150 kg so not the easiest thing to move.

So now I need one myself. What do you use? I was thinking about a 150l water tank. Being a bit more flexible during the other 364 days when it’s in a corner of the hangar. Any good idea welcome.

Germany

Since I have a long-term hangar arrangement I use one of these on the concrete floor

together with a couple of aluminum pieces of these hinged in the middle and tied on one end to the tail tie down ring and to the floor on the other end

I jack-up until the two aluminum bars stretch then lock the hinge in place and continue jacking to height

Antonio
LESB, Spain

MIne is 12 mm diam, THis is good for 250kg on concrete, I only need like 100kg, your need may vary.

Last Edited by Antonio at 21 Oct 07:50
Antonio
LESB, Spain

I believe you have a PA24?

For my PA30 I used 1/3 of a steel drum, mounted onto a wooden sheet with wheels attached then filled with concrete. No idea what the weight was but good enough for the twin.

Unfortunately I don’t have any photos.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

@Shanwick Yeah that’s more or less what I had so far.

First I thought I would simply use my oxygen refill bottles for the purpose. Each has ~80 kilos. It works. But it gives a bad feeling.

@Antonio not sure whether to trust that pullout force 🫣

Last Edited by UdoR at 21 Oct 12:59
Germany
Sorry for having no idea about what you are talking, a real aircraft with retractables at least should have three positions on it for having it jacked up. So how do you retract the landing gear with concrete weights or whatnot ? In my photo from spring the CAMO inspector´s annual check under the aircraft, pneumatics all around , no hydraulics here. Same matter in my YT clip in action. Just you provide homemade jacks suitable to your own aircraft for checking . And yes, when whining about “airfield politics” , never ever been a matter here, all annuals done at own place – with two maintenance companies here, one a main Rotax service, the second does all the certified rest, with brand new workshop this year. Seems there is a lot of greed and envy in UK companies about anybody doing his services on own aircraft – despite no chance to do your aircraft in reasonable time in said company for lack of staff. Here companies don´t care for that kind of jobs, have not got the time for another customer. But yes, that whining will be on this forum for some time to come . . . . Vic

vic
EDME

Any owner of a retractable gear plane needs to check the gear on every annual.

There ought to be 3 jacking points; no tail weight needed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Seems there is a lot of greed and envy in UK companies about anybody doing his services on own aircraft – despite no chance to do your aircraft in reasonable time in said company for lack of staff. Here companies don´t care for that kind of jobs, have not got the time for another customer. But yes, that whining will be on this forum for some time to come

Sorry Vic; that’s BS to say it is just UK, but wrong thread and off topic and I am too tired to argue it, tired of rising European nationalism, especially in the wrong thread.

Administrator

@vic no a Comanche doesn’t have a third jacking point in front. According to maintenance manual you bind 150kg to the tail and jack it up on the wing points. I would prefer a third jacking point in front but it’s not available.

Can’t comment on the rest because my plane’s based in Germany and I don’t understand the reasoning with regards to the U.K.

Last Edited by UdoR at 21 Oct 20:56
Germany

I didn’t know that, but the way I have seen tails secured (it is commonly done for other reasons e.g. engine removed and then the tail has to be propped up) was using a wooden crate with bricks in it, and a rod going up to the plane.

You can remove the bricks to make it moveable.

Administrator
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message