Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Takeoff" vs. "Departure" (and ATC accents)

Peter wrote:

I have uploaded my extracted mp3 audio

Your file isn’t clipped as well, see pictures below. It is 4.98dB below clipping level. It has however quite audible mp3 compression artefacts. For some reason, your youtube client decided to download the lowest quality version. Mine downloaded an mp4 which is 3 times the size of yours (and with a better codec).

Peter wrote:

The ATC transmission is heavily accented from anything I would call “English”.

Peter, your self defence is getting a bit ridiculous. No need for further proof that my previous post was justified

LSZK, Switzerland

@Peter

No, I don’t agree. Standing at the holding point, clearly waiting for the take-off clearance it was completely clear what she meant, and of course the pilot understood it perfectly.

Peter wrote:

The ATC transmission is heavily accented from anything I would call “English”

She does have an accent, but for what matters in this case, I find it very clear (in fact clearer than some of UK ATCs that only speak “proper” English), so I don’t really see how it would have been a blaming factor in this case.
What accent should one have in order to be considered “English” ? I have listened to some Live ATC and certainly struggle with some North American accents too.

75 percent of all people in England have a MUCH heavier accent than that lady :-)

so I don’t really see how it would have been a blaming factor in this case.

I would not suggest it was. I was just commenting on the legibility in general.

75 percent of all people in England have a MUCH heavier accent than that lady

That figure may well be correct

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

“ready behind next landing traffic” is a f-ing (sorry for swearing but this illustrates the problem really well) meaningless phrase. Ready for what?

As I would have understood it, is ready in the same sense you say you are ready (for departure). That is, you are ready for an (immediate) clearance. If this is what she meant, is another question, but it is the only correct meaning of that phrase (in my opinion).

Accents really is a strange thing. Lots of Danes do not understand Norwegian, at least not before they have had a “lille” (schnaps) or two, then they understand everything.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

Flyer59 – what does the subtitle for 1:38 say?

Who says the subtitles are correct? It creates some room for confusion but it’s IMO quite obvious what you should be ready for. And there is no clearance given or hinted.

@alioth I think there is a big difference between interpreting and caring multiple conversations in different languages. At least for me there is. The first one is often difficult for me while the second one is really not much different than doing the same in one language (even if some information has to be carried over). Maybe I have never done it long enough.

Flyer59 wrote:

75 percent of all people in England have a MUCH heavier accent than that lady :-)

But they tend not to on the radio. Almost everyone I work with has a radio voice which is a bit clearer and better than the one they speak in normally. There is one very noticeable scouser working in London NW Departures but the rest have very “RP” accents.

London area

Peter wrote:

It would be interesting to hear from other native-UK pilots… a few hundred of them read EuroGA daily.

As a UK native pilot, I listened to the exchange and also was able to pick up points where the translation was incorrect – for example, after the incident, she was asking Shamrock whether they were ok and the text read along the lines of “we just told” when in effect she said “we just saw it”. However I spend a lot of my time dealing with Belgians, French and Swiss so yes, the accent is a known quantity to me…..

EDL*, Germany
79 Posts
Sign in to add your message