Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20/TB21 - Are the newer GT versions better? (merged)

Above post moved to the existing thread.

The early posts in this thread might have useful answers.

Is the turbo worth having? A good question. Probably not, in Europe, unless you have or will get an IR, because the airspace structure makes VFR at reasonable altitudes difficult because ATC often won’t give you a clearance into CAS if you are VFR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There just doesn’t seem to be any TB-20GTs available for less than 100K at the moment, in fact there’s only one on planecheck. I am guessing the state of the market at the moment.

The GT does fetch a higher price and always has. I am aware of one which sold (in a fast sale) for about £120k a few years ago but otherwise they go for 140k+, with some p1sstakes like this TB21 which was originally up for 240k and is now marked down to 170k and it is probably still too high.

This is not bad for the owners who in 2002 might have paid 200k+VAT, so the depreciation is not bad at all and way smaller than say Cirrus.

As usual, “VAT paid” ones go for a bit more because somebody up the line had to eat the ~20%. But those are less attractive to VAT registered buyers because there is no VAT to claim back.

Administrator

Hi Peter

I saw that one and does look over priced, they’ve said they won’t budge on the price. What’s it worth realistically?

I was talking to someone else that had one for 145Euros with Garmin 750 and new prop etc. but wasn’t a GT. Again, seems really high for a non GT.

The one I’ve been offered is a 1990 TB20 non GT for £75K (w/out negotiation) but engine is on condition. Equipment is ok but would need some money spent on it.

Thanks

Billy

I should sell for 150-160 if everything is 100% working. But someone may come along who just loves it and – like a lot of people – doesn’t do a proper prebuy.

On GTs I recommend checking out the KFC225 (most GTs have that one) maintenance history. I know of one plane which was burning out servos every 20hrs or so. Not necessarily in the logbooks though, if the shop was giving the owner logbook inserts for him to glue in Some GTs didn’t have problems, most did.

Administrator

What’s the truth in a high number of these suffering/getting wing spar corrosion which is difficult to treat and get rid off potentially writing off the aircraft?

I suggest a search on e.g.

socata AND corrosion

and you get this this this

A lot of TB10s had it, relatively few TB20s and AFAIK even fewer GTs. However most TB10s for sale are quite old now, because the TB9/10 sales have been very low since the late 1980s, due to overpricing by Socata, and that may have something to do with it. This has been written previously but faulty metal heat treatment has been suspected, and of course denied by Socata.

This link is a useful historical lookup for potential buyers. I have updated it here and there…

Administrator
107 Posts
Sign in to add your message