Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Teflon polish

Has anyone tried it?

I was approached by a man (no jokes please) offering to do my plane for £500. He says 1 litre of the stuff costs £500. But, he says, it makes it much easier to get dead insects off.

It is a “flurocarbon polymer” but then everything is called “polymer” these days And “flurocarbon” is PTFE or Teflon.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We had something similar done on a bigger aircraft for the business, and it cost £2k – £3K. It was good but I’m not sure it was any better than a normal polish. I had a similar thing done on a car, the salesman threw it in. It was called Williams Ceramic Coat. It is similar to several other products developed for the car industry.
I can’t see any reason not to use an automotive product. Car paint is much more fancy than aircraft paint.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I’d like to see a plane that had had this coating applied six months ago.

Having said that, there are a few always-really-shiny planes in the main Elstree hangar and my first guess was that they had had a coating like this applied… or instead they pay someone to wash and shine their plane very often. I don’t know which is the case. If they have had this coating, then it works.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I was approached by a man (no jokes please)

This guy?

1L is enough for the WHOLE plane??

Yes, I had my C340 machine polished and coated about 12 months ago by http://www.aglazeairauto.co.uk/aviation/ who are based in Brighton I think and travel over the South East. It cost around £1200 including a deep interior valet and I would say it was worth it if the paint in decent but slightly oxidised state like my C340. It was certainly very shiny afterwards and lasted well until I sold it about 8 months later.

Debating now whether to have my soon to be arriving Meridian done but the base paint isn’t as good as the C340 and perhaps a respray may be better.

Lydd

Aglaze Airauto was today’s company

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have used Airglaze in The Netherlands and they do excellent work.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I very much doubt there is more than £50 of materials involved.

However, done properly a deep clean, compound, wax and buff is the very best part of a days work. They are earning £50 an hour, but its hard work, and i would hope are using a good polishing machine. So if you havent got the machine (£200) and are happy to pay £50 an hour to have some one do it for you its worth it. I had something similiar a few times, it will look stunning afterwards, and will last at least six months.

Whether they do it properly is as ever the key – and it is surprisingly skilled. I have just done something similiar to a different type of vessel and it took me a full weekend, totally exhausting, but the result is amazing. I have done the same job a few times, and am convinced whether it is this or that polymer or super wax doesnt make a huge difference, but the time and skill devoted really does. Of course there is no substitute for good quality materials.

8 Posts
Sign in to add your message