Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Thank you for not killing me (flying behind the power curve)

Bosco correct, but he is not sure whether it is a calibration error, or a slight improvement in lift due to the main gear wells – in any event he indicates it is only around 4 knots.

The CAS at 100 IAS is 98 for gear and flaps up, and 97 for gear and flaps down from the G36 POH. So 1 Knot difference in calibration error doesn’t explain the lower stall speed with the gear down. I haven’t heard a convincing explanation, but it can be verified to exist.

KUZA, United States

I’ve only seen the video without sound, but even for a botched takeoff in a Bonanza at supposedly light weight, I just wouldn’t expect the results on that video. When I lived in Houston our club had an S-35 Bonanza (with the IO-520) and on one trip I flew out of a fairly similar airfield in Oklahoma on a very hot day and there wasn’t even the hint of drama or being close to trees. I can’t imagine the newer Bonanzas have worse climb-out than the ratty old S-35 we had, and lightly loaded you could easily get an initial climb of 1600fpm.

Andreas IOM

One could put some time into this and work out e.g. the RPM from the sound. In fact there are free programs for doing that; I think I have one on my Nokia, supposedly for calibrating the RPM indicator in the aircraft

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alioth, Peter,

the basic reason for the bad climbrate has already been more or less found. See the Beechtalk thread, where the pilot actively contributed.

It was – besides the fact that the airplane was heavy (not too heavy as per the GW increase STC, but still heavy – that the pilot didn’t know the speeds that would be best for this situation and he kept flying level, waiting for some magic (but wrong) airspeed number to come up on the ASI. He was probably very far from a stall as he crossed those trees…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Feb 12:09
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I’ve only seen the video without sound, but even for a botched takeoff in a Bonanza at supposedly light weight, I just wouldn’t expect the results on that video. When I lived in Houston our club had an S-35 Bonanza (with the IO-520) and on one trip I flew out of a fairly similar airfield in Oklahoma on a very hot day and there wasn’t even the hint of drama or being close to trees. I can’t imagine the newer Bonanzas have worse climb-out than the ratty old S-35 we had, and lightly loaded you could easily get an initial climb of 1600fpm.

He used the term lightly loaded, but he later confirmed he was close to the original maximum GW of 3650 pounds. The light comment was made in reference to the STC that was installed on the aircraft that increased the GW from 3650 to 4000 pounds. The aircraft had a TAT Turbo Normalized Conversion. Although the higher weight is permitted with this STC, performance at that weight is decreased. However, since he was close to the original GW for the stock airplane, he should have obtained stock performance with a sea level value around 1000 FPM once cleaned up and at Vy. Your S model had a maximum GW of 3300 pounds and this aircraft weighed at least 10% more. So if you were operating at a low weight, you would see substantially better performance than this aircraft. This being said, I would expect to break ground at around 1200 feet ground roll, which is what his aircraft actually did by observing the video and comparing the takeoff distance with Google earth. This indicates he was getting normal power from the engine. He was not an experienced Bonanza pilot and did not have training that would have shown him that he was going too fast in order to climb. He was spooked by the few ba-beep beeps of the stall warning and left the pitch too low for a satisfactory climb. This is a type training situation. The airplane could have easily performed without any drama if he knew the proper technique on how to fly the short field takeoff.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee, thanks for your comments, i think you’re right about that he was spooked by the beeps and the pushed down. The pilot wrote:

‘All that is ‘human‘ in me told me to ‘pull up!‘ but all of my training said ‘airspeed, airspeed, airspeed‘. This meant a lower nose attitude than was comfortable, but the reality is it was better than stalling and not having a chance to get out at all. This is VERY difficult to stick with.’

Assdragger… You might want to check:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=EGLD

A Citation was based at Castlebar in the 80s.

I tried to look up “Castlebar”, found EICB, but no airport data is available, no charts, only a website with pictures of some 747s parked.

Administrator

there definitely was a Citation (I or II?) based at Elstree in the mid 90s, saw it fly a few times, but I also remember someone commenting only flying with one specific pilot and with a very light load.

Last Edited by podair at 13 Feb 15:56
ORTAC

I am mystified about the Bonanza performance mentioned in this thread.

Obviously, if you trim a plane for level flight, it isn’t going to climb

So while saying that if you are going too fast you aren’t going to be climbing, is gramatically true, it’s also pretty obvious! No sh*t Sherlock, as they say here.

What am I missing?

This guy was flying a fairly quick plane so if he wasn’t climbing, but had full power set, his ASI would soon be indicating something like 140-160kt. My TB20 will do 165kt IAS if you just push the nose down in level flight, in climb power settings.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message