Banner
Welcome to our forums

That's a taxi clearance

Or maybe a couple of them…

Last Edited by Vladimir at 23 Oct 06:11
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

… if you come there every day … :-)

Frequent travels around Europe

This non-phraseology chit-chat is quite unprofessional. He should stick to the standard phrases and there is also a mandatory “break break”. Maybe he thinks he’s cool but in reality he should book a refresher course.

Every time I listen to ATC in the US I have the feeling they don’t use standard phraseology. I always contribute that to the differences between Europe and US but maybe it’s also that they are not so strict?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

The US is “different” like that. It is interesting that Heathrow seems to cope without doing that. But you find the same speed issues in the difference between New York Center and London Control.

That said, Heathrow, while busy, has only a little more than half the aircraft movements as O’Hare.

EGTK Oxford

What’s wrong with this?? Bit quick, otherwise perfectly normal.

Chicago O’Hare is not the airport where ATC has time to waste with “correct phraseology” according to the german CAA’s textbook. I have never heard “breal break” at a US airport (I’v only flown into DFW though, with a 150 ;-) and once did a midfield xing at KLAX)

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 23 Oct 07:34

Just the speed. Always takes me a week to get used to it.

EGTK Oxford

Try to read back your clearance here.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

On a more serious note: Isn’t an airport, where ATC is forced to run through taxi clearances this quickly (not allowing time for read backs, which are there for a reason) clearly overloaded, running beyond its capacity or simply mismanaged?

I don’t buy the “It has to be this way because they’re oh-so busy and they can do it because they’re cool Americans and not as slaved to the prevailing rules as the poor Germans” argument. If you run FRA with the ATC staffing of DUS, clearly they’re going to have to find creative solutions to their overloading, too.

Why aren’t there simply more controllers (for, say, multiple ground sectors) to adequately cover ground movements?

I mean you get those – also funny – ATC videos of Chinese crews flying into JFK and being helpless at understanding what ATC wants from them. Ridiculing them for not being English native speakers and putting this stuff on Youtube is one way to deal with it. Using standard phraseology without any American pathos as to why that might not be necessary is another?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message