Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The Alps claim another one: Commander 112 D-ELPO (and cost sharing/advertising discussion)

It shows a bit the last moves. Up and down like a yo-yo.

This looks pretty erratic :-(

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Maybe AI will help shortly to assist pre-flight ADM and raise a red flag as a support tool, irrespective of your knowledge, experience level…..

I’ve made my opinions about the current “AI” clear elsewhere. Luckily you don’t need AI, just a bit of common sense. If it’s going to be IMC en route, and you’re not an IR, don’t go. It you’ll be above the freezing level, and there’s any chance of significant clouds that you’ll end up flying through, don’t go (unless you’re FIKI which only Peter is).

Current predictive AI can’t cope with real-time stuff anyway. Just as well.

LFMD, France

I’m not sure (still) how I feel about wingly etc.
But for me, I do feel that having written a glowing public advertisement to take some people on an amazing trip, I’d feel some additional pressure to deliver even in the face of poor weather.

Personally I have my own set of ‘minimums’ which may or may not appear careless/cautious to others.
Fortunately I’m fairly firm on those, regardless of what I’ve promised my pax we will be doing.
Those pax will already know all they need to know, and, (because I tell people the ‘scare stories’ and risks) they won’t be bringing any additional pressures on me.
If I get it all wrong one day, it’ll all be on my standard decision making.

United Kingdom

Was it Wingly?

He posted it on a FB forum which is absolutely huge. Vastly bigger than any Wingly audience. I would have expected him to get loads of interest there.

I am not the only “ice protected” person here; in fact my full-TKS N-reg TB20 isn’t “FIKI” (which is anyway a US-only term, mapping as it does onto US wx services). But I would not do icing conditions where there is no escape route via a descent over a significant distance like the Alps which are ~45 mins. The TKS tank lasts not much longer than that…

Nowadays I won’t do an Alps crossing in IMC. I used to but not anymore…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No, not wingly, but my main emphasis was on posting flying opportunities to likely non pilots, with an enticing storyline, then feeling capable of resisting the additional pressure to conduct the flight.
If it’s among your own ‘group’ or even extended group, isn’t it a little easier to say no?
You may be more likely to chat on the phone the night before, and the morning before, to save people making the effort to travel and turn up.
Obviously you could do that with strangers too, and I wouldn’t be shy to say no, but does that apply to everyone?

United Kingdom

Commander 112 with 4 adults at FL100 (even turbo) without any ice protection can’t hold much ice. If entered cloud, he was definitely above freezing level and I would guess -6 to -10 degrees, probably the worst icing temperature.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

This looks pretty erratic :-(

I think (and wrote that earlier here) that he was either trying to turn around or find a hole to get through. Local media reports describe the weather as pretty atrocious: high winds and a snowstorm. The wreckage is being retrieved, but had to be dug out from the snow. Doesn’t sound like wx you would like to (or should!) fly into in a non-FIKI SEP.

I guess the pressure to do this flight was simply too great, as he had sold tickets and essentially advertised an airline flight. In a SEP. Across the Alps. In winter. Frankly, this isn’t just idiotic – it’s at least borderline criminal.

PS: people like that are doing a massive disservice to GA.

Last Edited by 172driver at 27 Nov 19:18

Emir wrote:

Is this a weather overlay showing dissipation / rain and if so, in the moment of the flight?
Yes.

Is it? For me the weather overlay doesn’t change at all when switching to different dates.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Not much on LinkedIn. Even more so on Insta https://www.instagram.com/a4rocket/?igshid=NGVhN2U2NjQ0Yg%3D%3D

always learning
LO__, Austria

Is it? For me the weather overlay doesn’t change at all when switching to different dates.

You’re probably right… I got impression he had been avoiding weather pictured on that image.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message