Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The dreaded Continental Starter Adaptor

My aircraft is fixed, well almost. Here is the 2nd part of the story:

After great advice from PilotDAR I received the Classic style adaptor from Canada to replace the failed new style adaptor. My aircraft had been in Oban, Scotland now for two weeks since the breakdown looked after very well by the resident firemen at EGEO. I elected to drive from the Isle of Man with a truck load of tools to do the job, a day long journey. My IA engineer was to follow the next day flying up to Glasgow.
So last Thursday I set off in the truck firstly on the ferry to Heysham then a five hour drive to Oban. One local pilot at Oban did me a great favour of finding me an engine lift locally so I did not have to lug one of those up to Oban. I knew we had a terrible job ahead of us, the engine has to be detached and moved 250mm forward to get the adaptor off. Furthermore, there was no Hangarage available in Oban and the weather set to be bad, bad enough for a severe weather warning for rain.
My new local pilot pal suggested I call the owner of what can only be described as a poly tunnel hangar which as luck had it was empty at the moment. I called the guy who after several minutes of chit chat said I could borrow the poly hangar. Progress.
First thing on arriving at Oban 12 hours from leaving home (instead of one hour by plane) was to make sure the plane was OK, which it was. Then I measured the door of the poly hangar, 35ft. My wingspan 39ft. Oh no. Anyway, with help from the firemen we pushed my aircraft to the poly hangar and stuck one wing inside giving us some coverage from the deteriorating weather for the front of the plane. Two glider pilots turned up and a helicopter pilot just back from flying Victoria Falls. We can get your plane in there, how? With lots of two and frow, lots of tail down, front wheel up pivoting these geniuses got my plane fully into the poly hangar, amazing. This was just in time for the rain to fall heavily.
Cowls off, then a two hour drive back to Glasgow to pick up my engineer, followed by a two hour drive back. Now raining constantly. First thing next morning we started, canards off, control cable, wiring, air intake, exhaust, fuel lines etc etc. then the engine mountings undone. The engine was lifted still with the propeller on and moved forward. Taking the starter adaptor off was then easy and inspection showed the adaptor spring had indeed broken. All this time it was raining and thoroughly miserable and cold, but at least we were under cover. The reverse process was started and having worked 11 hours the engine was back in.
It rained all night and next morning the whole grass field outside the hangar was 6 inches deep in water. It took the rest of the day to get everything put back and at 4pm we performed a ground run in a puddle in steady rain. All OK, so the canard went back and the plane cowled up. Still raining, but the cloud base had lifted to VMC so we packed up the truck to collect later this week and took off. The weather was supposed to improve going south but it did not. All was well with the plane with my engineer keeping a constant eye on the instrumentation as I tried to maintain VFR. This proved impossible and requested an IFR clearance direct and got into a layer at 5000ft. Then, red light, no charging. We were 50 minutes from home so I told ATC we may eventually loose the avionics but the weather was way better south. I gave ATC a detailed route round CAS of Prestwick, told them we would maintain 5000ft with estimates for each waypoint. Then we turned off everything we did not need leaving the essential stuff and watched the battery voltage start it’s southerly journey. The weather got worse, by now flying by hand in IMC we had no choice but turn everything off and continue partial panel, but making ATC aware prior. By now we had expected the weather to be much better but the clag continued. 25 miles from home we popped out into beautiful blue sky. Phew.
I must admit we had an IPad with Skydemon. What a help that was, a real safety addition.
As we approached home I put the flaps down, nothing. Of course, electric flaps. Good job my engineer left some power in the battery so I turn on again, dropped the flaps and turned everything off again. I would not have tried to land in our 400m grass strip flap less. We landed, fantastic to be home.
Two very hard days, many lessons learnt. Look after your starter adaptor.

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

What an incredible report, STOLman!

Being de facto forced to do my “50hr” checks outdoors (though usually with loads of leeway on the actual day it is done) I do just about begin to understand what it must have been like to work on the plane out there. One day I will get the “tent” which I mentioned here previously but I have thus far avoided the need for it.

many lessons learnt. Look after your starter adaptor.

What are the lessons? Apart from getting a Lycoming engine which is obviously a silly suggestion and a non-option.

It would also be really interesting to know why the alternator failed, straight after such major work. Isn’t the alternator gear driven and bolted tight onto the engine?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve found the charging problem, the voltage regulator was full of water. Thank you Scotland.

In summary, the lessons learnt are:

If the engine backfires and starts, shut down completely and start again.
If you hear a whine after a start, shut down and start again (spring not relaxing)
If the engine starts to turn slower but battery OK it’s a sure sign of adaptor deterioration.
Fit a Classic adaptor
Fit a heavyweight starter
Forget lightweight starters
Rebuild starter and adaptor at around 1200 hours if you are not 100% happy with the performance.
Beware of too viscous engine oil in winter
Keep battery in top condition.

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

I’ve found the charging problem, the voltage regulator was full of water. Thank you Scotland.

It’s good practise to seal the Cessna voltage regulator with silicone to prevent the problem you experienced. I’m glad you got lucky on the starter adapter and the engine hasn’t eaten it.

It’s good practise to seal the Cessna voltage regulator with silicone to prevent the problem you experienced.

Where is the regulator located?

If it has direct water spray on it, it should be in an IP68 box. Otherwise, conformal coating on the PCB ought to do it, but a sealed box is always a good idea. This isn’t a Vauxhall Viva

Last Edited by Peter at 20 May 20:12
Administrator

What PCB? I guess there might be one in there someplace.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 May 20:36

That’s not one of those vibrating reed regulators, which turn the field current on/off with a mechanical sensor which is constantly arcing?

If so, there must be an aftermarket solid state regulator. I used to build those in 1975, for Yamaha bikes, with a 2N3055 switching the field current (a total overkill). It went into a tiny diecast box about 1 × 1 × 2″.

Administrator

there must be an aftermarket solid state regulator.

This seems to be the more modern 70s technology version (I have one like this on my plane). See also Link

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 May 21:20

My retirement business plan has just been blown out of the water

Administrator

The Cessna voltage regulators are solid state in a non water proof aluminum/plastic case. They are usually screwed against the firewall.

Sign in to add your message