Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The most crazy bugs in avionics

From here

A US fly-by-wire fighter reached squadron service without ever flying south of the equator.
The formation which first did so all automatically rolled inverted.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Had to Google the meaning of squadron service and came across this older article: Software Bug Halts F-22 Flight as it crossed the international date line So much for test coverage.

Speaking of software, why does the forum software submit my article when all I did was trying to switch browser tabs with the link caption dialog still open?

Last Edited by Clipperstorch at 11 Oct 20:53
EDQH, Germany

Software Bug Halts F-22 Flight as it crossed the international date line So much for test coverage.

That was crossing a given longitude. That happened in airliner INS systems too, IIRC. I can see the potential for this, having done some ARINC429 coding. The way angles are represented there is asking for trouble.

why does the forum software submit my article

That isn’t avionics; please post it under IT/Website. I also do not understand the description.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My memory might be wrong and the F22 incident be the only one.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

There was definitely at least one more such occurrence with F-16 in Israel: when they descended towards the Dead Sea, which is 400 m below MSL, some code in the avonics would throw a divide by zero exception and trigger a reboot.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Yes I remember that too.

Germany
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message