Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The need for flying IFR frequently

This has reminded me of this discussion also.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Remember, you are allowed to use more than a rate one turn to intercept if necessary. Up to 30°AoB is perfectly acceptable, even in a skills test.

London area

@Peter on that day there was also talk about “base leg” on the radio. I had never heard that before. Would have to listen to the recording again for more details. Interesting to see all the nuances that seem to exist …

Frequent travels around Europe

Well, “turn left 130, base leg” very very directly implies that you are supposed to intercept the localiser, so if you don’t hear “cleared for the XXX ILS” that is rather below the belt, and that is exactly what I got going into Annecy, right here

The magenta line is the LOC – when flying an ILS I set up the GPS in OBS mode, inbound runway bearing, for monitoring only, so I can see where to expect the LOC to be.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, “turn left 130, base leg” very very directly implies that you are supposed to intercept the localiser, so if you don’t hear “cleared for the XXX ILS” that is rather below the belt

“Turn left 130, base leg” is not a clearance to intercept the ILS. It’s a situational awareness call. “I’ll be turning you in soon, so get the checks done”, sort of call.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Base leg is meant to tell you that you should expect to be turned onto the localiser next. I have had several times when I am on “base leg” but then get turned back outbound due to faster/slower traffic.

EGTK Oxford
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message