Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The right aircraft for PPL training

I remember what Chuck Yeager told me in an interview…

Yes. But he again is a special case. What I know is that towrds the end of WW2 more fighters were lost in training accidents than in combat because students were transferred to them after ten hours on basic trainers.

EDDS - Stuttgart

;-))

More hangar flying:

My friend Tom Danaher, who flew for 25 Hollywood movies (Air America, James Bond, Cliffhanger, Empire of the Sun) once got a job to buy and fly an old B707 for an espionage thriller with Sophia Loren … So he went to Mojave and found a B707. He was supposed to bring it to ISLAND for the movie and he found a crew who repaired the airplane to airworth condition. He said that most of the instruments in the cockpit were already missing. After two weeks the airplane was ready and he flew it to Island VFR

From my recording (interview for a german magazine)

Me: “Did you ever fly such an aircraft before”
Tom: “No, never… I had flown the L39 and some military transport aircraft, but no commercial jet…”
Me: “So who checked you out in the 707?”
Tom: “Uhh … I studied the manual in the hotel room for a week ….”
Me: “And then you … uhm … flew it? Without any instruction”
Tom: “no big deal, flies just like a Cub” …

edit: The smiley is not for your last post ….

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 25 Apr 08:17

Yes, what next, the German Air Force lost more Me-109 pilots in training than fighting towards the end of the war …

By the way: I plan to digitize all those old interviews I have on tape (Chuck Yeager, Bob Hoover, Patty Wagstaff, Tom D., ,… some more) and put them online soon, if somebody is interested in that stuff …

Regarding doing PPL training on a TB20 or SR20 : is it even possible (in the legal sense) ? I heard from people that you could not instruct a PPL on a “complex” aircraft. Anyone knows where I can find a reference about that, if at all ? Certainly contradicts the ab-initio on PA46 that Jason mentioned, but that’s FAA land anyway.

By the way: I plan to digitize all those old interviews I have on tape (Chuck Yeager, Bob Hoover, Patty Wagstaff, Tom D., ,… some more) and put them online soon, if somebody is interested in that stuff …

Wow Flyer59 this would be tremendous stuff!

LRSV, Romania

Regarding doing PPL training on a TB20 or SR20 : is it even possible (in the legal sense) ? I heard from people that you could not instruct a PPL on a “complex” aircraft.

There is no stipulation whatsoever regarding which aircraft you can use for PPL training other than it must be an EASA aircraft.for an EASA lkicence. “Complex” is not even a term that is defined in Part FCL.

In practical terms some aircraft may not be as suitable as others and the insurers may have something to say about it. You could complete your PPL on a twin however; the 70 hour PIC requirement may cause a few difficulties

There is no stipulation whatsoever regarding which aircraft you can use for PPL training

All swiss aircraft I’ve seen with a retractable gear had a limitation in their registration certificate “not for basic training”. No idea where it actually comes from…

LSZK, Switzerland

Tumbleweed’ post is really interesting because – I thought – there was some reason why it could not be done. Something to do with doing the solo portions in what used to be called “complex” (retractable, etc). But it sounds like that has ended.

There remains, I believe, an issue with doing an ab initio PPL in an N-reg, because the pre-PPL flying is done on the US Student Pilot Certificate which is valid in US airspace only. So you would have to do the solo portions in say a G-reg and then continue in the N-reg. But that is not relevant to the OP because no flying school in Europe is ever going to be allowed to train in N-regs towards EASA papers…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@tomjnx on mine the limitation appears only on the noise certificate (of all places…)

Sign in to add your message