Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The UK IMC rating / IMCR / IR(R) (merged)

The key when linking to the CAA website is to link to the parent page, not directly to the document.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/IN2016082

I did find this on just now on an uk website is this correct???

IMC IR Rating
Basically your IMC Rating will take a total of 6 days to include 1 day for the ground school and exam.

It will include landing away at several major airports in addition to Bournemouth, and will include Southend, Coventry, Exeter and Cardiff, using ILS or ADF at those airfields. Unfortunately an instrument approach at these airfields can cost as much as £30 ish, but it is my view, if your going to do an IMC Rating, then be confident with the radio and procedures, into major airports.

Our hourly rate is £189 and the course is a maximum of 15 hour. The flight test duration a maximum of 1.4 hours is extra to the above.

When your Rating comes back from Gatwick it will include an IRR Rating, allowing you to fly IMC in 26 European countries, and in their associated airways, making planning so much easier.

Look, your Rating will change your recreational licence to ones that make it possible and legal to safely commute.

You can complete it in one complete week or in odd days or units to suit yourself.

Feel free to phone me anytime with any questions you may still have.

Last Edited by Peter_Paul at 20 Nov 17:45
fly2000

No, it is not correct. You cannot legally fly in IMC outside of UK airspace with an IR(R).

Sadly not correct..,It would be great if it was I wouldn’t have to be going to Gatwick tomorrow to do another batch of IR exams !

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

wish you all the best

fly2000

A google on the exact words finds the website:

http://www.derekdavidsonpilottraining.co.uk/imc-ir/

Hard to believe someone who is an FI could write something so clue-less!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I very much doubt that Derek Davidson wrote that or even knows it’s on his website. I met him a few years back. He’s a very experienced chap….I wonder if someone hacked his website. Seriously.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Howard wrote:

.I wonder if someone hacked his website. Seriously.

You have to be kidding. An IR competent, regulatory hacker??

EGTK Oxford

Jason, I’m not kidding. Derek has a strong personality…. Perhaps his password security is not what it ought to be and someone who knows about flying chose to do Derek a disservice. It’s a scenario I can envisage, but I am guessing. Perhaps I’ll give him a call tomorrow.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

it is correct were you located the origin of the text
i did not want to mention it as i dont know the person and did not want create any disrespect to him

it sound to good to be true and would have suited me perfectly but it looks not to be case after reading the answers here
Howard would be great if you could get some light on the reason of the statement on the net if you know the gentleman thanks

fly2000
Sign in to add your message