Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The utility value of 170-200 TAS GA

Yes, of course – but if i can only fly to EDMS in 500 ft AGL the SID won’t help me much, I could either land and file a new plane … or, and that was idea, change to IFR in the missed approach. But I have no idea if they would accept that … have to ask my friend in the Munic Center

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 06 Dec 17:21

Alexis, I don’t understand. Are you talking just about the “problem” of starting an “IFR” flight at a VFR field like Landshut (no SID), in marginal conditions? If yes, just take off and climb through the clouds to your cruising altitude. You are really making too much of a problem out of it. The German IFR ban in airspace Golf is illegal. Nobody would scud run to some other place just to join their SID in order to “legally” do the climb with a formal IFR clearance (totally unsafe).

This is really not something that restricts utility (the only exceptions being cases where a German Flugleiter forbids you to take off – which can be a restriction). The problem is more on the approach end, where you are descending towards terrain, not climbing away from it.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Dec 17:51
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I also have to come back, and I prefer to get below the clouds at EDMS or EDDM (also possible) and fly home VFR than to use my self designed approaches to EDML.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 06 Dec 18:19

BTW: Our “Flugleiter” has no problem with that. All they care about is that we have minimum visibilty

Flyer59 wrote:

Yes, of course – but if i can only fly to EDMS in 500 ft AGL the SID won’t help me much, I could either land and file a new plane … or, and that was idea, change to IFR in the missed approach.

Why would you prefer to change from VFR to IFR by flying the missed approach rather than flying a SID? There is something here I don’t understand.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

boscomantico wrote:

a German Flugleiter forbids you to take off

Do they have that authority? They’re not ATC but AFIS, right?

(I was just not sure if I can use the SID without landing!)

Flyer59 wrote:

Don’t know about Germany, but we can use the SIDs and IAPs of the nearby military airfield (during office hours, when their tower is manned, that is).

LSZK, Switzerland

Flyer59 wrote:

More so than the missed approach, I would say.

I thought that you are not allowed to join or leave IFR in IMC ?
Your joining and leaving points (IFR) have to be VMC or you would not be legally VFR (which is hte case in your description), have they not ?

@Flyer59 : why not do VFR + Touch and go and you take your clearance on the VFR downwind ?
(maybe they charge the touch? maybe that’s actually your idea ?)

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg
Sign in to add your message