Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tom Scott video on Bara (EGPR)

Have to say, it looks like a real fun adventure to take a SEP there. I see that people do it also with low wing, tricycle planes:
https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/4793-scotland-trip-part-3-egpe-inverness-egpr-barra#post_80607

Do you have to be a bit crazy, or is the risk, in a way, lower than on grass, as a beach is less likely to have some hidden holes?

EHLE, Netherlands

hmng wrote:

Do you have to be a bit crazy, or is the risk, in a way, lower than on grass, as a beach is less likely to have some hidden holes?

As they have airline flights to Barra, I think the risk is very low.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I wonder how many years these airplanes last before they’re full of corrosion.

ESME, ESMS

hmng wrote:

One of my friends dared to ask his insurer if he can land his SEP on the sand? I think mentioning later on “it’s for Barra international airport” did smooth things out the surface is smooth and feels just like pavement on touchdown & taxi, the only caveat is the amount of washing you will need (using pure water) if you land and taxi using retractable SEP, still enjoyable than landing in muddy & rough grass…

PS: I am sure someone will say that propeller hitting sand & water counts as prop strike just like cutting grass with no RPM loss

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Jun 11:53
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

As they have airline flights to Barra, I think the risk is very low.

I meant the risk of a prop strike for the typical low wing SEP :-) Looks like most airline flights are with airplanes with (high) wing mounted engines.

EHLE, Netherlands

Ibra wrote:

the only caveat is the amount of washing you will need (using pure water) if you land and taxi using retractable SEP,

So the modern “plastic” airplanes with fixed gear (Cirrus, Diamond, etc) are more suitable then? Way less metallic parts exposed?

EHLE, Netherlands

hmng wrote:

So the modern “plastic” airplanes with fixed gear (Cirrus, Diamond, etc) are more suitable then? Way less metallic parts exposed?

I guess yes, plastic is inerte to slated water (not sure about FADEC sensors but a DA40NG went there with no ECU fails )

Dimme wrote:

I wonder how many years these airplanes last before they’re full of corrosion

Untill 2019 you could not park overnight in Barra due to rising tide when parked in the sand
I think now they have two high pavement pads but I doubt anyone is based there?

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Jun 12:32
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I went there in a PA28 – went to Oban afterwards where the aircraft was thoroughly washed by the airport fire brigade in return for a charity donation.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I once flew on the CAT that did the Barra – Campbeltown – Glasgow run (boarded at Campbeltown) and the airplane had sand and salt all over. IIRC a Twin Otter. Not sure I would want to do that with my own airplane…

A known beach really isn’t an issue. I’ve landed on Knott End Sands a couple of times for the fly in there.

Firm sand is a really good surface to land on, you get a nice pillow soft touch down. There’s a bit of drag on takeoff (as the wheels will make a track). Our solid tailwheel tends to like to plough a furrow.

The heaviest plane I’ve seen at this flyin was a Cessna Skywagon, but it left pretty much the same tracks in the sand as the microlights.

Our insurance has no exclusions for landing off an aerodrome. We once had insurance that did have some verbiage (about the surface havinig to have been verified, or some such wording), but that was quite a long time ago.

Last Edited by alioth at 16 Jun 14:42
Andreas IOM
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message