Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trapped above icing conditions in a Lancair

What I was getting at was the way this guy doesn’t keep his options open.

If you are heading towards wx, you have options:

• climb (he could not due to (a) no oxygen and (b) ending up below layers in a non-deiced plane)
  • descend (he shows no indication of having planned a low level (perhaps VFR) option, allowing for wx and terrain and CAS etc)
  • turn left or right (he had limited options)
  • turn back (very few people do that, due to psychology)
  • carry on (needs (a) the OAT to be below some -15C and have a good prior assessment of the situation ahead esp. w.r.t. embedded convenctive wx, or (b) be de-iced and have the capability to fly on for the duration of the gear e.g. 1.5hrs with TKS)

In the video he just jumps in the plane and goes and manages the situation as he goes along. Maybe he is brilliant and really has done all the above, but if this is a training video then he ought to show that, in case somebody else tries to do just what he shows (and for sure somebody will).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

In the video he just jumps in the plane and goes and manages the situation as he goes along. Maybe he is brilliant and really has done all the above, but if this is a training video then he ought to show that, in case somebody else tries to do just what he shows (and for sure somebody will).

That’s what the narrator say also. He should declare an emergency. He shouldn’t “regroup” in the air, but do it on the ground and so on. (not entirely sure what “regroup” means, reorganize, re-plan?) Maybe he should, maybe he shouldn’t, does it really matter? I mean really matter, without also including some more or less absurdly theoretical if scenario? Look at it from an aviate, navigate, communicate perspective. He doesn’t seem to have a problem with any of it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

I have never requested SVFR in my 17 years of flying and don’t know what purpose it serves

It is used to go in and out of the airport / CTR when weather is very locally below VMC minimums but is VMC outside of the CTR. It happens.

My flying career is much shorter than yours, but last month I used it to “come home” when the ATIS was giving around 3000-3500m visibility (before going into the plane for the 40nmi flight, the METAR was 8000 NOSIG, but that’s another story). I could actually see the airport from the VRP, about 7-8nmi away. I was in moderate-to-poor visibility only on a part of the base and final legs. Except for the need to follow the official circuit to avoid the village that one should not overfly for noise abatement (and “to keep them from applying too much political pressure to shut down light GA”) reasons, I could have been in great visibility continuously until touchdown; 4000m runway… Could have done a short approach and used “only” half of it.

I might have used it another time, to get out when the METAR was a stubborn BKN012, but I had reports from just-landed pilots that the clouds were higher and sparser north of the CTR. By the time I was in the plane and ready to go, the ATIS was BKN015 so I just departed normally (and indeed was able to climb on top within 10-20nmi).

ELLX

so critical of his attitude
we use iin USA a clearance of vfr on top to depart an airport that has a low cloud base usually
it does require instrument training since you will be transiting an area of imc
he is already ifr qualified and equipped
he should have stayed ifr and no major issues
a bottle of mountain high oxygen with a computer feed lasting 8-10 hrs cost 500 bucks
lots of flexibility with that
he has all those fancy radios and will not spend some money on getting some oxygen to use in needs like these
when ifr on top he went by a large hole on the left, no need to even talk to control, just do a quick 180 get underneath the cloud, find a close airport and land and check the weather
90% of the time in the winter when I call FSS I am told that conditions are unsafe for flyings
90% of the time the conditions are favorable
but I do have deicers on my evolution, pressurized, additional oxygen on board, additional bottle of mountain high oxygen bottle (3 oxygen sources) and great weather capability with built in nexrad, in 90% of occasions when told that I could not should not consider flying I have completed the flights safely. Having 280 knots and 1400 mile range helps a lot, you can go around, land, fly over, fly low and suit yourself. Otherwise we will die in a rocking chair watching old reruns of mash.

KHQZ, United States

You fly a Lancair Evolution, @magyarflyer? That’s impressive!

Various threads here e.g. this one. There has been a lot of discussion around it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes 600 hrs

KHQZ, United States

KHQZ, United States
67 Posts
Sign in to add your message