Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trig TY 91 versus TY 92

I have a 180HP Rallye (VFR now, would like to reach light IFR capability). I need to replace/upgrade radios. Under what circumstances is a 6 Watt TY91 acceptable for use as opposed to the 16 Watt TY92?
What are the differences in transmission/reception range?

Tököl LHTL

I have the TY91 and have no issues. I thought the main difference was that the TY92 can operate from a 24V= system, which the TY91 cannot? I’ve never come across a TY92, anyway.

It would seem to me (but there are some around with more insight) that the extra power is only relevant when transmitting in a noisy environment (big airport, lots of frequencies in use) or when transmitting far from low altitude. The one thing I learned is to not call my FIS immediately after take-off, but rather to wait till 1500’ or so.

Last Edited by at 04 Nov 12:00
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

6 Watt is suffucient power upto FL150. The TY92 indeed only operates only on 24 Volt aircraft, so likely is not suiteable for your aircraft.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

I thought the main difference was that the TY92 can operate from a 24V= system, which the TY91 cannot?

Not correct. TY91, just like TY92, can handle up to 33 V, IIRC (anyway, the upper limit is the same). However, the 92 can’t go as low (i think it’s 22 vs. 11 V on the low end). This can be problematic if you want to install it in a glider (typically no 28 V) and fly a wave (where you can go really high).

Jesse, I sent you a PM.

Tököl LHTL

Jesse, I sent an email. If you don’t see it, please check your junk folder.

Tököl LHTL

Received your E-mail. Not the PM. I will reply to you.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message