Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip Report - Spain and Morocco

I have been meaning to post this for a while, and indeed promised a while back to do so but I thought I’d finally post my Morocco trip report.

Unusually for participants in this forum, I was flying a Robinson R44 Raven I. Morocco has strict regulations on landing off airfield (basically you can’t without a ton of paperwork) but that doesn’t mean that flying there is any less fun. In fact, it actually means you can get very low over the desert and see a lot more as a result.

Rather than fly in my usual machine, a Robinson R44 Clipper II, from the UK, we rented one in Mallorca. This meant there was a long water crossing to/from the Spanish mainland which is quite hairy without floats, but the sea is warm in the summer.

The outbound trip was simple enough to Morocco. Fuel stop in Muchamiel (LEMU), which has a reasonable restaurant and good for some drinks. There seem to be a few British people that go there on a daily basis for beers and plane spotting. We went straight on to Almeria (LEAM) though, getting there by nightfall and staying in a very basic but pleasant hotel next to the airport.

Almeria is the usual AENA rubbish of quite high handling fees (use Swissport though, cheaper than the others by far) and lots of procedure getting to/from the aircraft. It really helps (obviously) if you land without other commercial / GA operations at the same time.

We got off in good time the following morning with a pleasant flight down the southern Spanish coast at low level, past Malaga (LEMG) to Gilbraltar (LXGB).

There is no Avgas at Gibraltar and landing fees are quite high, but lunch there was too tempting to pass. Going over to Gibraltar Radar, you get the familiar “pass your message”, then they close the road for your approach.

Everyone was really helpful there and we even got a tour around the control tower, and a visit to the newly-opened Wessex Lounge. I think it helped that we were also quite “low maintenance” in the sense that “handling” extended to a minibus ride from the R44 to the terminal and not much more.

We got delayed on the way out due to a BA plane going tech, and all the passengers being offloaded.

After this, we were off to Tangier!

Last Edited by Charlie at 19 May 16:48
We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Approach into Tangier – very windy 35kt straight down the runway. This presented some challenges with taxiing.

At the time we had to fill in arrival and departure cards for EVERY airport we visited in Morocco, so pre-filling these and photocopying them saves a lot of time. Apparently this process has stopped now. The landing fee at Tangier was €2.10 and it took them around 20 minutes to calculate this (I am not joking). We also had a very friendly visit from the police who also brought an incredibly lazy sniffer dog to look over the aircraft.

We went on to Rabat (GMME) and then Fes (GMFF). Nothing really to report at Rabat – Avgas was plentiful and came with a fuel bowser. Fes was more tricky – everything was hand pumped and took a while. Note that all fuel needs to be paid in Euros and they don’t give you change (essentially the fuel man sees the non-change as his tip), so important to take smaller Euro notes.

The red carpet store, wasn’t rolled out for us:

From Fes, we went to Errachidia (GMFK) which is basically a VERY long runway, a big empty building and a control tower. The scenery on the way was stunning:

More manual fuel pumping

Views in the desert

And then back up to Tangier via Marrakesh

In terms of flying in Morocco, I’ve got some helpful tips / hints – do ask below if you want more detail or questions on anything else:

• You have to file a flight plan for every leg. This can easily be done on RocketRoute. I know people used SkyDemon which seemed to be ok but often missed bits off so they’d have to then go to the office and do it manually. In particular, FPL transmissions exclude emergency equipment, which they need to know
  • You MUST fly along prescribed VFR routes. There basically isn’t much radar 50 miles east of Casablanca, so in reality they don’t check, but as soon as you take off you will be asked for estimates at EVERY single reporting point along the route (and some are quite hard to pronounce!). If you’re late, they will tell you you’re late, but we didn’t see any consequence of this
  • Note the cash for fuel point that I mention above. We didn’t manage to pay by credit card anywhere. Apart from them keeping the change, we didn’t get ripped off anywhere. I’ve had bad experiences with “handling” in Italy, for example – none of that here.
  • In general, ATC is helpful and their English is good. You won’t have any trouble here.
  • Whilst they are very polite at airports, they are also very officious in the sense that there is A LOT of paperwork and most of this paperwork is done by hand. If you’re with a group, don’t feel bad about leaving the airport when you’re done. Equally, try to arrive either first or last, else you will spend a long time hanging around (especially for fuel)
  • We were lucky with the weather in Morocco (Spain less so in the next post) but it can change very rapidly, especially in the mountains. Be very careful on this, particularly with WX planning because their forecasts (and even actuals) are frequently wrong
  • You need permission to enter Morocco in the first place – the authorisation number goes into your flight plan. You won’t be permitted to leave Spain or Gibraltar without this having been “accepted” by the Moroccans, so file with plenty of time
Last Edited by Charlie at 19 May 17:08
We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

This is where it got interesting. To say the least.

Took off early doors from Tangier to Almeria, easy departure and passed by Gibraltar. Upon passing Malaga, we were informed that there was a “problem” and that Almeria was closed because of a contaminated runway, but may open again “shortly”.

Hey, we’re in a helicopter, who needs a runway?

Apparently in Spain, to land a helicopter, a serviceable runway is mandatory.
- “The airport is closed, runway contamination”
- “We’re in a helicopter, we don’t need a runway”
- “The airport is closed. Please divert”

So off we go to Murcia (LEMI). Then disaster strikes – we get a 20kt (unforecast) head wind.

For those of you who know the R44, the fuel tank is 36.5 gallons in total, but Robinson doesn’t have any fuel burn charts in the POH at all, so it’s anyone’s guess on how much you’re actually burning. The fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate and there’s no fuel totaliser. There is however, a totally separate system, which is the “Low Fuel” light. This indicates that you have “10 minutes” of fuel remaining, but it can be more.

Anyway, 20 minutes away from Murcia, we get the low fuel light. 11 minutes on, we think our luck may have run out so we land in a field:

Minor inconvenience it seems, and fortunately we find someone who calls us a taxi. Plan is to get some fuel cans, fill them up with Avgas at Murcia, then back to the helicopter. Turns out that Murcia was as closed as Almeria after a big storm, nobody has turned up to ATC and all commercial flights are cancelled. After renting a car, we then find out that Muchamiel (nor any airport in Spain) will let you fill up fuel cans with Avgas. This is just another example of where Spanish regulations conflict with practical realities.

Helpfully though, the R44 has a carburetor and is not fuel-injected. So we went to a petrol station and filled up with high-octane petrol and added in some lead additive (readily available in Spain):

Fuelled up, car returned, we were back in the air! This gives an idea of some of the damage done by the storm, and why all the airports were closed:

Landed at Muchamiel, for more fuel – grey skies:

Then it was the 2-hour crossing to Mallorca. The weather forecast looked like this:

After an “interesting” crossing, we made it…. with three empty jerry cans on the back seat:

In retrospect, we probably should have just declared a PAN at Almeria so they would have been forced to let us land. Sure, the paperwork would have been a pain, but at the same time we would have got fuel and gone on. I would like to criticise myself on poor planning, but actually hard to do here – there was no indication that airports were closed when we took off, and in any case they kept telling us that Almeria would open “in 20 minutes” despite being able to see (when we arrived) that it was never a realistic option. Additionally, we couldn’t divert to places to the north (e.g. Granada) due to weather and the risk of flying in the mountains. What this DOES say to me though is that it’s astounding how bureaucracy holds no bounds, and on occasions that ranks ahead of safety.

Last Edited by Charlie at 19 May 17:39
We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Great trip and report ! Your Morocco advice tells me nothing much has changed there in the last years. I went there several times when living in southern Spain and my experiences (10+ years ago) where identical to yours. Great place to fly. At the time they needed 24h PNR for the flight plan, sounds like that’s still the case. Must have been great flying low in a helo !

Fantastic. Have visited Morocco several times, but never via GA. Would love to but, the hassle factor appears to outweigh the benefits for me.

DavidJ wrote:

Would love to but, the hassle factor appears to outweigh the benefits for me.

Do it. The hassle factor is a fraction of flying in the UK.

Charlie wrote:

In retrospect, we probably should have just declared a PAN at Almeria so they would have been forced to let us land. Sure, the paperwork would have been a pain, but at the same time we would have got fuel and gone on.

Actually, you would prob90 have been stuck there until they cleared the rwy. Spain can be very anal…. With a helo you could possibly have gone to one of the UL fields between Almeria and Murcia. From memory there are a few in that area, although not sure they’re still operational.

Thanks for the write up Charlie, that weather east of Spain was nasty and one is better staying low along the east coast and well done for fuel production

Did you fly VFR from Spain to Morocco? For VFR, I understand FPL routes needs to be manually validated by the arrival airport, this can be done with a call to the destination tower while filing in SkyDemon, otherwise EuroFPL show messages regarding FPL (also Notams which don’t show in SD) and as always there is always an issue with your 1st VFR FPL

Nice Valley flying between Fes & Errachidia

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 May 23:11
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

With a helo you could possibly have gone to one of the UL fields between Almeria and Murcia. From memory there are a few in that area, although not sure they’re still operational.

We couldn’t find one with Avgas actually – another advantage with the heli is you’re always quite low so you can make phone calls through the bluetooth

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Ibra wrote:

Did you fly VFR from Spain to Morocco? For VFR, I understand FPL routes needs to be manually validated by the arrival airport

Yes we did. Frankly the most helpful thing was being in the tower at Gibraltar as they speak English (obviously) and were generally efficient.

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message