Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Basing airplane at Amsterdam EHAM... possible?

I never see Lelystad based aircraft parking outside, only visitors. Weather in the Netherlands is different from Spain, so a hangar might be the more sensible solution. I can ask my connection, but Peter might be better connected.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

At these prices, maybe you should really talk to Schiphol and find out what the story really is. Sometimes it is not as bad as it looks at first sight.

Clearly, you will be an outsider, clearly there will be security, probably handling and other stuff, but it is worth exploring, if naught else comes out of it so you can tell us about it.

I do hear similar stories about Zurich and once you are based there, it is not half as bad as the tales in the pilots pub, mostly told by folks who either never were there or got burned because they did not make their homework. I am in a similar situation, I live 3 minutes from the GAC at Kloten whereas the nearest hard surface GA place is 1.5 hours away by car at most times and has a waitinglist from here to the Alpha Centauri Quadrant or some other silly quantity. Looking at all the costs I find ZRH is not more expensive than most surrounding airfields which charge extra for customs, membership fees (like golf clubs and equally expensive in some cases) and restrict the use of your plane.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

“Yikes. Any tiedown space?”

Nope :(

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 01 Nov 14:46
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Mooney_Driver wrote:

At these prices, maybe you should really talk to Schiphol and find out what the story really is. Sometimes it is not as bad as it looks at first sight.

A long time ago Schiphol was very GA friendly. Sometime around 1990 they changed and all the GA operators were driven away with the exception of the flying club but even they are now very restricted in activity having lost most of their grandfather rights. I understand they are now paying €130 per landing for their DA40 but have a deal on handling through the jet center.

Schiphol has a cap on the number of movements and are within 5% of the absolute limit – which is why they are developing Lelystad. Which is the greater revenue earner – an A380 with 500 on board or a typical GA aircraft with 3 on board?

Hilversum EHHV is a little closer and very friendly, 3 runways in a triangle, but all grass.

ESMK, Sweden

One beaten Mooney is operated from 600m grass at EDWP, althoug I don’t know about her TOW. At least you don’t have to worry about high temperatures in this part of the world.

Last Edited by a_kraut at 01 Nov 18:05
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

a_kraut wrote:

is operated from 600m grass

Yeah I think grass would be too limiting for the Mooney unfortunately. I can do solid dry grass if it’s super smooth but I know it’s often wet in those parts :)

My MTOW is 3130lb/1420kg.

Might be fun to trade up to something more rugged I can operate from a grass strip. Not doing a ton of long IFR trips like I used to in the states anyway.

Last Edited by Nickmatic at 01 Nov 17:47
EHLE, Netherlands

@a_kraut: I fly for the only airline based in EHLE. We do have 2 hangars there. Send me a PM….. MAYBE we can work something out.

LEBL, Spain

Now I’m curious; does anyone know if there are hangars available in Hilversum and prices?

EHLE, Netherlands

There are hangars at Hilversum but they’re scarce – 90% of the based aircraft are tied down outside – the people in the tower there are the ones to ask.

Sign in to add your message