Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The German North Sea coast / East Frisian Islands (Langeoog & Bremerhaven)

I think you’ve got that backwards. Customs without Immigration is very very unusual.

From the UK, they would have had Immigration.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To the best of my knowledge all Dutch airfields have immigration – generally with 4hrs. PNR. The exceptions are Ameland, Oostwold, Stadskanaal which are intra-Schengen only. The Marechaussee may or may not attend.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

To the best of my knowledge all Dutch airfields have immigration

The AIP for Texel says ‘Customs: AD OPR HR. Immigration: NA’

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

I have just spoken to Texel and direct UK – EHTX is no problem. 24hrs PNR and a GENDEC

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

@boscomantico: Great trip report, after seeing the pictures in “advance”, the little story to it makes it complete!
(And yes, I’m working on my trip reports too )

Aveling wrote:

I landed at Wangerooge speaking English only 3-4 years ago. I did call the FISO first to check. Of course things may have changed? It would be a big shame if German only is being enforced in the same way as FR Seulement in France.
At my homebase, we handle this “GE-only” requirement very liberal. If there is someone speaking English on the radio, the Flugleiter answers in English (as far as he/she can) and everybody is happy. The people from the Luftaufsicht (CAA) never make any issue about it towards foreign pilots. Only in case you do speak clear German on the ground (like Swissgerman speakers and some Dutch pilots do), they will just ask you politely to speak German next time on the radio as well. Nobody will prosecute you here for not having an German RT or LP. However, this isn’t a guarantee for all German aerodromes, I just know that our regional CAA officers from Münster handles this topic very liberal and unbureaucratic.

Peter wrote:
Customs without Immigration is very very unusual.
In Switzerland, this is the standardcase.
Last Edited by Frans at 31 Jul 17:26
Switzerland

At my homebase, we handle this “GE-only” requirement very liberal. If there is someone speaking English on the radio, the Flugleiter answers in English (as far as he/she can) and everybody is happy. The people from the Luftaufsicht (CAA) never make any issue about it towards foreign pilots. Only in case you do speak clear German on the ground (like Swissgerman speakers and some Dutch pilots do), they will just ask you politely to speak German next time on the radio as well. Nobody will prosecute you here for not having an German RT or LP. However, this isn’t a guarantee for all German aerodromes, I just know that our regional CAA officers from Münster handles this topic very liberal and unbureaucratic.

Exactly. This is why I wrote “officially”. In 99% of cases, there will not be a problem. So, best thing is to call these airfields in advance, if need be in slow English, and ask if you could arrive with English radio on date xy. Very very likely, they will say it’s no problem. Most Flugleiters are probably not aware of the possible liablity if something goes wrong that traffic. Compare this with France, where due to these fears, non-English qualified AFISOs sometimes refuse to use English, even if they could do it, from a skills point of view.

The alternative to callling ahead is to just “pitch up” with an English initial call on the info frequency. Very very likely you will not be turned away. I mean, even that odd 80 year old Flugleiter from the last cormer of Bavaria will be able to say the runway in use numbers to you in English. And he will do so, just to resolve the situation. And if there is other traffic, he will likely “space” them away from you for a while until you’ve landed.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 31 Jul 17:47
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bosco great advertising for GA in Germany – I regret I only have EDDF EDDM and EDMA in the logbook.

Has there been a Euroga fly out to Germany in the last few years?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Nice report. It reminds me I wanted to go island-hopping some day. I should plan it.

I managed to land at Bremerhaven EDWB on my first group flight one month after getting my license (and roughly 5 months before it closed), it really is a pity because it was very well located near the town. We stayed at the big sail-shaped hotel. The lock system to keep water in the inner harbor was interesting. Half the group went to the zoo, the other to the u-boat. The departure to the north along the town and commercial harbor was gorgeous. It’s good you mention the ferry to cross the river from Blexen into town, we discussed about returning but had not noticed it.

The year after we flew from Leer to Borkum. Landing and evening were very nice, but the departure was in very marginal weather. At destination in Sylt it was again super sunny and hot.

RobertL18C wrote:

Has there been a Euroga fly out to Germany in the last few years
Dresden 2 years ago.
ESMK, Sweden

Has there been a Euroga fly out to Germany in the last few years?

This one has come up before a few times. We normally have a big meet-up at Aero Friefrichshafen EDNY in April, which is in Germany. If someone wants to suggest a place (which meets the usual fly-in criteria) we can see if it “flies”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice report and reminds me I should do more reports for those short, local trips. Indeed, for many pilots in my extended home area, these islands are the de facto standard day trip destination and the airfields get quite busy on sunny weekend days.

Do visit Norderney one day – it is my GF’s favorite, for its nice vibe and lively atmosphere. If I’m alone, my favorite is the smallest of those islands, Baltrum.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
Sign in to add your message