Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you often see other aircraft in the air?

Today it showed all traffic

That's a remarkable philosophical achievement, Achim

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

... all traffic that I was made aware of by ATC (IFR in E), my IR examiner and my own eyes

But you're right of course, traffic that I don't see and that is not on my PowerFLARM does not exist.

It looks like SkyDemon are also looking to integrate now with the Zaon MRX, however it requires an adapter which retails at $600, but this would seemingly be better as the MRX does have an azimuth / direction display and might be overall cheaper than PowerFlarm.

Personally, and I know many disagree, I think traffic without azimuth is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Even with my £12k TAS605 system, at least 90% of traffic it shows is never spotted even if there are 3 people looking very hard for it - despite knowing the distance and height pretty well exactly and knowing the azimuth within ~20 degrees.

Without azimuth information, you are wasting your time looking for traffic. Unless you habitually sleep in the cockpit all the way to short final, in which case a traffic report might usefully wake you up when approaching the airfield.

Administrator

The 'latest' update on this thread in my browser is "lisaaxiu88 16-Sep-13 06:36". But the last one I can see is #34 by Peter on 05-Aug-13 20:44. It is just my browser having a bit of a problem?

Edit - well it was until I posted this one ;-)

Yes; we have had two apparent spammers today, who I had to clean up afterwards...

Administrator
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message