Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

English airfields with interesting things to do by foot

Their website says closed to all movements. A google search finds a number of newspaper articles quoting the manager saying it was closing to stop losing money as their alternative plans to partially develop the site didn’t get permission.

http://www.oldsarumairfield.co.uk

If in fact it’s still open and only closed for covid then that would be great.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I heard Old Sarum was closed except for the based skydiving company, but this is only word-of-mouth.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Basically Old Sarum is owned by a property developer playing a long(ish) game.

His planning application to build houses on the site was rejected by the local council, so now he’s playing the ‘neighbour from hell’ game by closing it to any users except the resident skydiving company.

I believe his strategy is to irritate the local populace (with a jump plane going up and down dozens of times a day, doubtless right over the various villages) to such an extent that the council is forced to approve his housing development to make the nuisance go away.

It is an unfortunate side effect of UK planning rules and aerodromes not being considered part of transport infrastructure. Every aerodrome owner has half an eye on the possibility of closing down and building houses on the site – they would make many millions.

EGLM & EGTN

I was at Old Sarum quickly today (by car). The skydiving is still in operation because we regularly see the parachutes over Salisbury when it’s sunny. The café is open, as is the aviation museum, and there was a PA28 doing circuits so it looks like school is still flying too. SkyDemon calls it disused but the website says “Old Sarum Airfield is open to commercial operators with prior agreement.”

Unfortunately my one year old was much more excited about the grass cutting tractor than the plane doing touch and goes.

35 minute walk from Shobdon EGBS (database report here) and the church next door is worth a visit too

Beautiful, and great light

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fantastic picture, beautiful

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message