Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Romania & Bulgaria - looking for tips

For Romania, just check the latest pdf file from here Allowed Countries Romania before you leave. It is updated weekly, every month. If the countries you are coming from are on this list, there is no mandatory quarantine imposed.

AvGas should be no issue at LRBS (Bucharest, very close to the capital city center, GA friendly).

A nice stop before Bulgaria could be LRTZ (Tuzla), a small GA grass airfield 5 minutes to the border, and by the Black Sea. They have a nice Cafe and AvGas. Friendly people with a pretty good flight school. The only issue is customs must be arranged in advance.

LRIA, Romania

Mooney_Driver wrote:

As for quarantine, I would be careful at the moment in both directions. Normally I would go to Belgrade, take on fuel there, then on to Plovdiv and Primorsko but given that Serbia is under huge scrutiny now re COVID I guess that is not a good idea even though Bugaria currently has no quarantine for Serbia. Belgrade has by far the cheapest avgas and is very cheap as a transit stop.

I had a quick peak at Belgrade as a transit stop but the question is how likely are the TRAs to the southwest of Belgrade and in the Northwest corner of Bulgaria active? There are so many, some active via NOTAMs, others weekdays that the routing you’re proposing is likely only possible during weekends, right?

EDL*, Germany

Many of them are rarely active, some are areas which are used for shooting anti hail rockets and therefore only active when there is thunderstorms.

best is to use the VFR routes on the ICAO chart and in any case you will be in contact with Sofia Radar, they will actively guide you. Expect to be controlled VFR.

From NISVA people usually file north of Sofia to BLO VOR, then to RUMEN and on to Plovdiv. At altitude they will usually clear you direct when clear of traffic of Sofia.

The route from Plovdiv to Primorsko usually is via Parvomai and Topalovgrad on the flightplan, but again once you are with Radar they will clear you direct.

Do get the chart from the Bulgarian AIS. Most will be clear by then.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Do get the chart from the Bulgarian AIS. Most will be clear by then.

Where do I get that? I requested access to their online site and was told that this is only for internal VFR flights in Bulgaria…..

EDL*, Germany

Never had a problem flying through Serbian in either direction. Often (like in Hungary) they will volunteer that you have no restriction on your planned route. Or advise you how to avoid, or whether there might be a coffee break (indeed) in the activated zone. Had the same in Bulgaria.

Dont worry too much, mostly easier than it looks on paper…

EDM_, Germany

Never had anything other than SD formy Balkan trips. Worked fine, seemed sufficient.
I also file along IFR waypoints rather than VFR routes. Appreciated by controllers.

EDM_, Germany

Bulgaria has been added to the List of countries for which quarantine has been imposed by Austria. It is likely that others will follow.

I would not recommend to risk this for the moment therefore.

Which direct connection to Vienna City from LOAV?

From LOAN you can get a taxi (15€) to the trainstation which has frequent train service to Vienna city center (55 minutes).

always learning
LO__, Austria

@snoopy

He meant Stockerau (LOAU), I used the wrong ICAO (LOAV) from memory.
From Stockerau you can take the S4 or regional train into Vienna and (before and after Covid19) they have the courtesy car…

EDM_, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

Where do I get that? I requested access to their online site and was told that this is only for internal VFR flights in Bulgaria…..

You have a pm. Send him a mail, he was in Friedrichshafen and very forthcoming.

Doesn’t matter that it is inside BG, still is what you need.

Sign in to add your message