Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA to Krk / Rijeka LDRI July 2020

If on a IFR flight plan and you divert to a airfield for fuel that was not one of your alternatives on the flight plan, whats the way close the FlightPlan, UK and abroad?

That’s dependent on the country, and other things.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Rob wrote:

If on a IFR flight plan and you divert to a airfield for fuel that was not one of your alternatives on the flight plan, whats the way close the FlightPlan, UK and abroad?

I assume you inform ATC/FIS of your diversion? Then the procedure would be as if the diversion airport was your destination. I don’t know that it matters if you divert to one of the planned alternatives or not.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I think the answer is complicated.

In the UK, any towered airport will issue the ARR message when you land there. And before that, the IFR authority (typically London Control) will have “dumped” you from the Eurocontrol system anyway, although this also varies (as I can see from when tracking ends, on diffeent flights). And, in the UK, there is never a requirement to close a FP; no S&R action takes place unless a 3rd party makes a positive request to trigger it.

In France, I can think of airports where, if you diverted there, you must absolutely make a phone call to close the FP. Basically anywhere without a manned tower. I have done diversions in France but always to a manned tower.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you divert in France to other than your planned/alternate and you inform ATC/FIS, they will create a new FPL for you in the system (from scratch if you did not have an FPL or cancel an exiting one), you will have to close it yourself after you land if no one is in the tower, in UK, no one cares if FPL stays open as long as you are outside airspace…

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Sep 22:55
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message