Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Short VFR trip to LFSE, nice place near the river Mosel

As the temperatures are telling it’s summer every day we were looking for a place to fly with water nearby. Suddenly Jane mentioned that we have never have been at Epinal although we are overflying the fix several times a year on the way to Brittany. And as Épinal is located on the French Moselle we decided to make a short day trip to visit the town.
The airfield near the town is Dogneville (LFSE). It’s a short grasstrip with 710 meters, so nice to visit with the Bonanza.
We departed at 10 local time and crossed the Black Forest and the Vogeses below the clouds.

As usual on Saturdays no restricted areas where active it was flying the straight magenta line.
After landing we followed a way between the Mosel and the canal direct to Épinal. 5 kilometers from the field to the center, always along the water, beautiful.

The old town is not to big, but there are some nice buildings, so it is worth to stroll around a bit.

Finally we had lunch, as usual in France for about 2,5 hours and it was excellent. I forgot to make pictures, but the restaurant is mentioned in the Gault Millau, so you may understand why. Focus was on the meal not on Instagram.
After that we went back to the plane, but made a stop on the river to take a bath. More then one hour and for the whole time, we have been alone.

On the way back to EDDS the controller asked me nearly on the border of the TMA “In case of a straight in approach would you be able to maintain the speed?”. I love the EDDS controllers. I got the straight in as an high speed approach and a nice day ended with a nice landing.

EDDS , Germany

Beautiful place and beautiful photos

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice trip to a small French corner, does not surprise at all when ATC doubt Bonnie drivers are able to maintain the speed

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Nice, Peter. as you say, Epinal doesn‘t have all that much offer besides a lunch and a stroll in the small old town and along the Moselle. Try Beanscon or Belfort next time for nearby day-trips to France.

Epinal always reminds me of the terrible customs check I have had to undergo there once in an N-reg. A lot of headache and a day wasted.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks for this. I take note as I am looking for one-day trips to nice places with madam.
If you have other nice destinations where we can merge flying, walking and eating let me know

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

@jfw you can add Strasbourg and Colmar to the list, both are very nice daytrip destinations. Oh, and to the East: Karlovy Vary (CZ)

EHTE, Netherlands

@Bobo thanks for the input. Its noted

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message