Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which UK airfields are NOT PPR and have no limiting "opening hours" for private ops?

The typical UK credit card commission is around 2%. We used to pay 1.8% with a major bank and now pay 2.5% via the shysters called Paypal for all CC processing except AMEX which we don’t take (Paypal was an easy option due to integration requirements etc).

Against that an airport makes about 30p/litre on avgas, which is about 15%. OK; losing 2% on the invoice value means losing 14% of the fuel income, which is a lot.

But all airfields I know take credit cards, so they are already losing this much.

So I don’t understand why there aren’t more self service pumps. Maybe they are unreliable; most outdoor credit card devices are broken half the time. The French airport machines are in a kiosk so protected from direct rain.

There was a guy here years ago who used to run Gloucester Airport – @matspart3. Maybe he is still out there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

PPR – the scourge of UK aviation.

I can add Sherburn-in-Elmet Airfield in my rare list of ‘NO PPR’ (7 so far), it’s not mandatory…they also have cheap Avgas, UL91 and JetA
Even better, they offer PPR form option for pilots who wants PPR !

https://www.sherburnaeroclub.com/pilot-information

Meanwhile, seems lot going on with this, plenty to keep someone busy with lot of flying memories

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Jun 11:04
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The PPR stuff is often (probably very often) not actually operated. I have just phoned Shoreham (“strictly PPR” in the AIP) and they will let you land unless they are so busy that they can’t. I have heard people being refused but it was ~10 years ago (one guy argued on the radio that he did file a FP; he should have asked his PPL school for a refund of the 10k they took off him!) and I have not heard it since.

Actually imposing it gets the airfield a really dirty name, and nowadays it spreads at the speed of light, all over the place, and sticks like sh*it to a blanket for the next 20 years because social media is full of 5hr/year pilots who sit on their Ipad all day.

The next obvious comment here is that if you did do PPR and they are so busy they can’t let you in, then, ahem, you can’t land

There is any number of airfields around Europe where if you did a 50-plane fly-in, un-announced, they would turn much of it away. LDLO once had ~65 planes (EuroGA has a lot of the blame for publicising the Adriatic destinations for 10 years and basically putting them on the map, and these are not my words ) but they did have the room, just about, and being a bunch of “un-reformed ex-communists, not yet invaded by the N European culture” they have a can-do attitude and they found the room. How many others would? LKPR would, with its 10km² of tarmac, and at ~ €300+, but actually very few would.

So “no PPR” is less significant than it might appear. A good number of EuroGA fly-ins have collapsed or had to be moved because the airfield simply refused say > 10.

What is more important is how many will refuse a landing just for a laugh if you didn’t contact them first. Well, again, _lots_of places, and only a few are in the UK. Probably much of Greece would, and you can work north from there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

LDLO once had ~65 planes (EuroGA has a lot of the blame for publicising the Adriatic destinations for 10 years and basically putting them on the map, and these are not my words ) but they did have the room, just about,

I wonder if that’s when I was there – i June 2019. AOPA-Germany had a fly-in at the same time. Aircraft everywhere…

And indeed it was because of EuroGA that I went there!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message