Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel stop in southern Germany

Buckerfan wrote:

For years I have had a mental block about visiting German airfields, as I am not familiar with the country and dont speak the language. I am determined to change that now and am planning a late October trip there.

Most German airfields are not complicated. And English will get you far, even on airports where the AIP doesn’t say so, the guy in the tower (Flugleiter) will usually be able to speak enough English to get all relevant information across.

The main reason for a “mental block” about visiting German airfields are probably clichés about bureaucratic, officious and obstructive individuals who think they can rule “their” airfield with an iron fist (which is mostly wrong, legally) and can totally ruin your experience as a visitor. These people do exist in Germany, but much less often than the cliché would have you believe and probably at the same likelihood as in neighbouring countries.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Buckerfan wrote:

Landing E 35, IFR fees in and out total E 24, and customs fee E 25, all plus VAT.

Although it’s under €100, I wouldn’t say it’s cheap for refueling stop. German airport’s that I used for immigration (IFR, towered) used to have total fees less than €50. I saw your report in database but it states only landing fee €35 while total fees are additional €50. It also states fuel price €2.00 without VAT (which is €2.38 with VAT) and above you wrote 2.20 plus VAT (which is €2.62) which is 10% more expensive. I appreciate your effort to make report but inaccurate data are only confusing other pilots.

@peter maybe there should be additional field for other fees, like customs fee (in Greece or in this case) or passenger fee. I believe one field for the rest is enough.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It’s a tricky one because in say Greece you get a list of fees as long as a chinese takeaway menu.

What I suggest in the FAQ is that all this stuff should be grouped under the Handling heading. Most “handling” invoices are anyway made up of several separate charges.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Stopped in Schwabisch Hall, EDTY, on Saturday for fuel, which turned into an overnight due to a large front moving through. Superb facilities, marvellous friendly staff, and I could not fault it. To say GA friendly is an understatement. South East of Frankfurt. My first visit to Germany in my plane but surpassed all expectations.

Flew from Lydd who also could not be faulted on service and friendliness.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

Flew from Lydd who also could not be faulted on service and friendliness.

We spoke to you at Lydd, what a great aircraft your V tail Bonanza is … enjoy your trip

Emir wrote:

above you wrote 2.20 plus VAT

Emir, apologies, just double checked the invoice. Avgas is Euro 2.00 plus VAT.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

quatrelle wrote:

We spoke to you at Lydd, what a great aircraft your V tail Bonanza is … enjoy your trip

Thank you and ditto on your ship. Sorry we did not have more time to shoot the breeze.

It was a very good trip and arrived Katowice, in the rain of course, 12.30 Sunday. 178 kts groundspeed. Fastest I have ever recorded in her. You did mention tailwinds….

EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

Stopped in Schwabisch Hall, EDTY, on Saturday for fuel

Hey, Beech Baby, was that you at EDTY with the blue and white V Tail Bonanza about 2 pm Saturday? My wife and I were in the PA46 at the pumps.

@Mateusz, thank you for starting this thread. It inspired us to go to Germany, and specifically EDTY, for refuelling, but also our next flying adventure, about which I shall start a new thread in a minute. Looks like it inspired Beech Baby too.

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 13 Oct 09:26
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Emir, apologies, just double checked the invoice. Avgas is Euro 2.00 plus VAT.

Thanks!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Buckerfan wrote:

Hey, Beech Baby, was that you at EDTY with the blue and white V Tail Bonanza about 2 pm Saturday?

Yes that indeed was us. What a great location. So friendly and helpful. I particularly like the story about Adolph Wurth and the reasoning for the facility. That’s the way to do it, if you can afford it……

We decided to hold overnight due the front that was going through, which was well predicted on Windy.com. We caught the remnants on landing at EDTY, again we were well prepared for it.

Would recommend EDTY to anyone going to that area.

EGPF Glasgow
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message