Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Late summer in northern and central Italy

OK, I thought I'd cheer you all up a bit with a few shots I took on a recent three-day hop to my second home, Italy. As always, it was great, thanks to knowing how to work the system and knowing the right places to go to.

The flight started in Luebeck (EDHL) and took us around most of northern and central Italy. The long flights were done IFR, the shorter ones VFR. As a side note, we did four stops in Italy, without the wheels ever touching a piece of tarmac or concrete.

First leg was to Massa Cinquale (LILQ), near Forte dei Marmi, in northern Tuscany, crossing the Alps via N850.

On the day of our departure, we were very lucky with the weather, as there was a very nice break between fronts along our entire route of flight, allowing us the famous VMC-on top from start to finish. However, the night before departure was completely clear in Luebeck, so that the morning looked like this:

Visibility of 200 metres meant that LVP was in force. As a consequence, we had to taxi behind a follow-me car all the way to the line-up position, which really wasn't neceassary (I 'm curious if that will end up on the next invoice from the airport...).

Anyway, about 10 seconds after getting airborne, we were in the sunshine, proceeding south-southeastbound towards the general Frankfurt area.

Normally, I would fly at FL100 or 110 all the way to the base of the Alps in order to avoid using oxygen as much as possible. However, Frankfurt now requires at least FL140 for crossing their area, so we started to climb to level 140 once past the Kassel area and didn't descend until way into Italy. This way, we had an even better tailwind component (~30 knots) and also better true airspeed. If you look closely, you can see 168 knots on 11.9 GPH. Oh, and please don't comment on the strobes being switched off.

My new "gadget"...

The first sight of the Alps is always nice.

Crossing via N850 is always spectacular.

Just as we passed the highest peaks, the clouds thinned out and gave us a clear view into Italy.

Quiz: who can say which airport this is?

Another (much easier) one here:

And here:

Lago Maggiore:

Now, who knows which one this airport is? This is for the real insiders:

The confluence of the river Ticino with the River Pò, still from FL140.

Genoa and the first view of the mediterranean sea.

We then cancelled IFR over Genoa VFR and proceeded VFR in a long descent, via SPEZI intersection to LILQ, taking good care to avoid LI-P3 in the La Spezia area. Pisa Approach was terribly busy at that time, so we didn't even call and went straight to Massa Radio.

Approaching the shore near Forte dei Marmi.

"On the forty-five", as the Americans would say. Can you spot the airport?

About to turn base.

Turning final for runway 23. The runway is in terrible condition and has been ever since. Also, there are tall trees just in front of the threshold. Always a bit of a challenge.

But the views, the welcome, the atmosphere and the profumed, warm air is always worth it. Flying time was a mere 3,5 hours.

One of the local aeroclub's Cessnas.

After lunch by the beach and a bath in the med, we were "up up and away" again, for the very short hop to the Pratello resort with its own airstrip.

Proceeding coastwise at 1000 feet inbound Viareggio. IFR inbounds to Pisa (LIRP) crossing overhead.

Approaching Pratello, southeast of Pisa. The airstrip is nestled right into the valley and is 1000 meters of fine grass.

A couple of photos of the "Tenuta di Pratello", recently restored to near-perfect condition:

View from the garden into the typical tuscan landscape:

The next morning, we decided to first hop over and visit our friend Marcello at Sansepolcro airfield (LIQQ). This was also done low-level, VFR. Our route took us past this nice airfield, which I have also landed at in the past. Anyone who knows which one this is?

Well, I think this was a little too difficult, so I'll tell. It's Aviosuperficie "Il Borro" in San Giustino Valdarno.

Before landing at Sansepolcro, we made yet another slight detour and had a look at the aistrip of another good friend of mine, Marco. It's Sant'Illuminato airfield (kind of hard to see on the photo), which has been extended to 800 meters a couple of years ago. His Agriturismo is one of the most beautiful ones I know.

At Sanseolcro, one more time we really enjoyed the friendly welcome of the Pichi Graziani family, as well as their grass runway, which is smoothest one I know. A look into the hangar revealed two beautiful Comanches, which however sadly don't seem to be flown a lot.

After being offered "un cafè", we took off again and decided to sample the runway at San Marino airstrip, after it has been extended to (a now whopping) 650 meters. Here, we are approaching the hilltop old town of San Marino, with the Adriatic in the background.

On final for San Marino airstrip. It turned out to be in good condition and not really a big challenge.

We decided to have lunch on the Lido di Venezia, so LIPV was our next destination. We crossed Romagna CTR without any troubles, passed Cesena, Ravenna and then proceeded northbound along the coast to Venice. This is the old town of Chioggia.

And that's the view of Venice when joining final for runway 05 at LIPV.

There was an airshow going on at nearby Padova airport (LIPU), so there was a lot of coming and going at the Lido, too (mostly advanced microlight though, nowadays).

We quickly paid our landing fees and then strolled to a nice restaurant about 10 minutes from the airport. The beach was only 200 metres away so there we were for another swim, this time in the Adriatic. In the afternoon, we took off again, inbound for Portoroz for the night. Here, we are cruising along the coastline near Jesolo.

Always a nice sight: Piran.

Ever since, one of the best working IFR GA airports in Europe: LJPZ:

We quickly checked in to Hotel Piran and enjoyed the late afternoon sun. Being saturday, Piran was still pleasantly crowded. What followed was yet another swim in the sea.

Sunsets at Piran are one of the most beautiful ones in the entire Adriatic region:

Next morning was time for our return IFR to Germany. We had picked Portoroz partly because there was weather forming over the central Alps and we wanted to stay well clear of that by flying via Graz and Prague. This turned out to be the perfect choice.

The "big singles" division at Portroz airport, at 8.30 in the morning:

Shortly after takeoff, a quick peak under a partial overcast allowed a glance at the city of Trieste.

While the weather was not entirely CAVOK, we didn't touch a cloud all the way to Luebeck (which is what I always strive for).

When passing west of the Vienna area, we could spot what looked like a very weak Tornado thing.

A partly socked-in valley in the Steiermark.

And one last one, from the quiz section. Which airfield is this?

Hope you enjoyed it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Very nice! (How do you like your new autopilot? :-))

So far, it's great, but I didn't expect anything less than that.

Really wonderful photos... Thanks very much indeed, it makes my Saturday morning to see them.

I've spent a great proportion of my free time within your loop over the last 15 years, it's just a wonderful area.

Magnifico!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Talking of these "agriturisimi" with their own runway, do I understand all right that they are usually in the elevated price range? Even if the runway is only 400 metres?

And what do you mean by "N850" ? Is it an airway?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Most places have runways between 500 and 100 metres long. There certainly is no correlation between runway length and accomodation price.

No, these places have absolutely normal prices. Just having a runway doesn't allow them to raise their prices because most guests don't come by own airplane and there is a lot of competetion between the agriturismi. Pratello is really one of the most expensive ones, but then it is not really an agriturismo in the classic sense, but more of a country resort. It costs about 75 Euros per person per night, whereas many similar places (Mensanello, San'Illuminato, San Seplocro, etc. are more like 35-50 Euros per person per night. A list of places you can find here.

Yes, N850 is just one of (really just) two low-level (sub FL200) main airways crossing the high Alps, the other one being M726, which is via Innsbruck and Bolzano.

Very nice airfield hopping! How was the fuel situation, did you get avgas at some of the airfields? What's your minimum grass runway length for the SR22?

Fuel requires some dilligent planning in Italy, even though in the northern and central parts, it is much less of a problem. Fuel was available at Massa Cinquale, and I took 70 litres onboard. Sansepolcro also has 100LL, but I didn't need any. Venezia Lido has fuel as well.

BTW, upon landing at Portoroz, I realized that I could have technically (although not legally) avoided the fuel uplift at Massa. That means I could have flown from Luebeck (for those who don't know, that's almost on the danish border!) to Massa, then across most of Tuscany, up towards Venice and then to Slovenia on one tank!

For grass runways, as you know, it depends on a lot of factors, mainly runway surface condition, obstacles and aircraft weight. If I know the surface is firm (which is 99% the case in summer in Italy), there are no appreciable obstacles and fuel load is light, I normally consider 500 metres my minimum, even though I am normally airborne after 300-350 meters. For tarmac runways, it's a little bit less.

My limit is down to 600-700 m grass now when I'm alone... Take-off is really not an issue in the SR22, I also manage to be airborne in 350 m, even with 3/4 fuel ... It's pretty clear that after a while the wheel pants will suffer, I already bought a small supply of holding brackets (one broke already). What really bothers me a bit is that the stall warning comes on really early, at around 70 in my plane. So on every grass field approach it's screaming the last 100 meters beffor touchdown. (Does yours do that too?)

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message