Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly and Hike: Mont Dauphin St. Crépin (LFNC) and Barcelonnette (LFMR)

Here is another one for the hikers 😀 We had a few wonderful days in the French Alps last week and took some nice pictures (so I think) which I’d like to share.

We were only able to depart Mannheim (EDFM) in the afternoon so we decided to stop at Annemasse (LFLI) for the first night to be able to do the first alpine leg in the morning. Lausanne on the way and final:

While the airfield was nice, the town honestly has nothing to offer. The next day we flew to LFNC. In the beginning there were a few clouds but then it was really nice. To Mont Dauphin part 1:

The hike of the day was rather a stroll of a little over one and a half hours to Mont Dauphin which is an interesting combination of village and fortress. There would be many more hiking options here, though. To Mont Dauphin part 2:

The next day’s leg took us to LFMR. To Barcelonnette:

We gave the Mooney a three day’s rest here to explore the surroundings on foot. Hotels in the area cater towards skiers, so there is a good supply of accommodation even in high summer season. Weather didn’t cooperate fully but nevertheless we enjoyed our hikes. Hiking:

Fuel was expensive in Barcelonnette, so we decided to get it somewhere else. Therefore we stopped at Chambéry Challes les Eaux (LFLE). To Challes:

There is a Total pump and the town of Chambéry is worth a visit. A hiking pilot can reach it on foot in less than an hour 😉. The flight home again was delightful. The way home, Mont Blanc, Geneva and Mannheim:

Last Edited by terbang at 02 Aug 12:23
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Beautiful photos. The Alps are great in the summer too

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looks wonderful!

terbang wrote:

Weather didn’t cooperate fully but nevertheless we enjoyed our hikes

Funny, I find it easier to hike in the rain that in the hot sun! But cool overcast conditions are best for me! Just like in the shot taken from behind.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Lovely trip, I am puzzled you went for the tough option: landing on valley then hike to the peaks?
I imagine landing on altiports offers a relaxed option to hike on the peaks

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message