Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Michael O'Leary on NATS staff shortages

Mr. Ryanair telling it like it is, as usual. Very amusing!

United Kingdom

I’m impressed he spoke continuously and convincingly for about 4:30, and managed to be funny. YouTube videos and even normal interviews jump a lot due to editing. “CBE, CBE, CBE, CAA” made me laugh.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Im surprised he didn’t use the opportunity to cancel flights to cope with his own short staffing of pilots.

EBZW, Belgium

FlyingAppel wrote:

Im surprised he didn’t use the opportunity to cancel flights to cope with his own short staffing of pilots.

He can’t criticise other’s salaries when his is almost £1million. The average FO there pays for it’s uniform afaik and isn’t on anything near what he gets in 10 years, over there whole career.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

He is a successful entrepreneur who took a couple of Bandeirantes to Europe’s most successful regional carrier. His salary is a small fraction of his overall compensation. If you understand the deal, i.e. you are self loading luggage, it is an excellent carrier with an excellent safety record. Anything he might do to help shake up some of the UK’s sclerotic public bodies is no bad thing.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

it is an excellent carrier with an excellent safety record

It’s a shitty carrier, but it does have an excellent safety record.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

As previously posted, I would prefer to avoid those words (to avoid EuroGA getting blocked on some corporate IT systems) so this just creates work for me.

Also a serious assertion requires serious proof – as any PhD will be aware

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@pilotrobbie he’s the CEO of a highly successful airline, of course he will get paid more than an FO (who after a couple of years in the company will be on a very decent salary).

As I understand, the issue with short staffing of pilots across the industry is more due to a lack of supply than anything else.

United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

It’s a shitty carrier, but it does have an excellent safety record.

Well not according to the millions they carry every year. It serves a market. He runs a very successful carrier, which appears to remain profitable in an incredibly tough market.

I have not flown on them much, simply because the route network was slashed and also due what Ryaniar did to Fuerteventura after a fall out some 12 years ago. Took the island quite a while to recover, if it ever actually did.

But that is life and business so go Easyjet if you do not like him and his carrier. There is also Jet2, heaven forbid.

I did like the video though. Totally on point

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 01 Oct 20:51
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Nothing wrong with Ryanair, you get exactly what you pay for. I used them a lot when I lived in London as I often had to travel to provincial cities in Europe that weren’t served by anyone else. Pleasant? Not really. Efficient? Absolutely!

Another data point is their maintenance. A friend of mine flew their Learjet that is used to get mechanics to AOG planes for a while. He gave up after a few months as there was hardly anything to do and he didn’t like sitting in a hotel at Stansted being on call. RYR planes just don’t seem to break down.

Loved the video, btw!!

27 Posts
Sign in to add your message