Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Egypt

10 Posts

In April 24’ I am looking at flying to Cairo via Italy & Greece – with 3 or 4 nights rest in Cairo.

A few things come to mind for this trip;

1. Aircraft Insurance – It states North Africa (So should be fine)
  2. Access/Permits for Egypt
  3. Handling in Egypt
  4. Maintenance issues for a DA40 (Who can fix the aircraft this far from base)
  5. Oxygen refills down route (As I’ll be flying 3 up on oxygen there and back, I need a few airports that will refill via an adapter (Jet Centre in Greece/Italy?)

Also how does on access the Egyptian AIP? I can’t see the charts on http://www.nansceg.net/ais.html

Lastly the easy bit, what places are worth visiting and have full Instrument capability – with challenging procedures etc?

All help would be appreciated

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 03 Oct 07:23
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

G.A.S.E – General Aviation Support Egypt – helps with things like this and are said to be very good.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A search should yield useful results. GASE is probably still there.

I was going to do Luxor years ago but gave up due to the amount of head-banging needed. Practically everybody uses overflight agents for the 3rd World – even if they don’t mention this in their trip writeups I have some listed here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I used white rose in 2021. They took care of everything: permits, fuel and even transfer to hotel in Hurghada.

Last Edited by aquila at 04 Oct 02:28
LIAP / LIBP, Italy

I flew through Egypt when flying around the world last year (stopped at Capital International and Aswan). GASE is the way to go. At the time, $450 a stop with all fees included. Way cheaper than any alternative. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you’d like to chat more.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies so far. I’ll get around to responding properly soon RE Egypt.

Does anyone now of locations in the MED/Greece ideally that will refill the Oxygen Bottle? Maybe a Jet Centre if I get the right tooling to do so?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

For O2, I HIGHLY recommend getting an Inogen Aviator oxygen concentrator. It concentrates ambient air to make O2 on demand for an unlimited supply (well, limited by its battery, or your plane’s electric system).

We got one for our trip around the world and I cannot recommend it enough. In the past, I’ve been bamboozled out of €250 in Reykjavik for an O2 refill in the past. That was back in 2019, and I can only imagine what it would cost in Greece or Egypt. If you have a concentration system, you never have to worry! It’s expensive at $2500 but worth every penny.

Generally, Cirrus Service Centers will be a good bet, as many Cirrus aircraft have oxygen (some fixed, some portable). So in your case, that would be the following, conveniently located “just before reaching Africa”.

Megara has the downside though of requiring both a prior and a subsequent stop at some other Greek airport, so it will be a total of at least three landings in Greece = three times headache.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Oct 15:05
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
I agree that oxygen concentrators will be the way to go in the future. Especially if operating with only one or two POB. In the meantime, I have bought a very cheapo, non-battery one (~200 Euros) to see what works and what doesn’t in an aircraft. Still have to properly try it out. As always, one has to make sure that the aircraft voltage and wattage are ok to operate/recharge the unit (or that the battery is sufficent to operate on long legs) and that the unit’s performance is still satisfactory at the altitudes one wants to operate at.
Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Oct 15:29
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

If you had the MH O2D2 + 48 cu. ft. cylinder (much discussed in the other O2 threads) you would not need to bother with this self-flagellating oxygen refill business. It was never easy, and it never will be easy because almost nobody in piston GA does these trips and most of the business is refilling the emergency O2 cylinders in bizjets whose operators never even look at the invoices.

In Greece you have LGIO LGIR LGAV LGST as the main “usable” ports of entry and frankly the best one is LGST, which a decent plane can reach from most of Croatia (a TB20, from anywhere in Croatia), and then you fly on to Alexandria for Customs, 6th October for 100LL (if you burn 100LL) and then you can fly on all the way down to Aswan.

It will be an adventure but prob100 you won’t do it again

Some old reports are below this thread.

The main oxygen concentrator / generator thread has various stuff and basically the biggest issue is the operating ceiling of all the “cheap” ones.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message