Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Handling required in Limoges – Bellegarde LFBL for light aircraft?

Hi,
I have found in EuroGA Airports Database a PA46T flight to LEFB marked as non handling required, but in the airport docs it states that Apron L (non handling required) is for max wingspan 11m; Aprons A & P require Handling.
My SR22 is wider than 11m, as it is the PA46T… are they flexible with this and allow light aircraft slightly bigger than 11m to park at Apron L or I need to go to apron P where handling is mandatory?
I have written a mail to the airport to clarify this but it has been ignored

(of course, I appreciate any alternative recommendations. I will be flying from Madrid (LEMT) to Rotterdam (EHRD) next month. I can technically make it one leg but I don’t feel like staying 5 hours in the plane so I want to do a refill stop in France aprox mid distance)

Thans for any info,
Ignacio

Last Edited by icordoba at 14 Oct 11:44
LEMT, Spain

The lack of answer is concerning.
I would try LFBU or LFBI or LFBN.
LFBU and LFBN are AFIS fields with fuel.
LFBI is similar to LFBL.

LFOU, France

Hi, that was my post on the airport.

To be honest, I had never noticed the requirement for handling. I have used the airport as a place to refuel and clear EU customs and immigration perhaps 8 times in the last few years. No one at the airport has suggested I needed handling. On all occasions I was either the only aircraft on the apron, or one of a couple.

I think it is a great little airport. Staff very friendly and helpful. Fees are v v cheap. I would not ask about the handling and just go. No one will come and measure your wingspan or say a word about handling.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Thanks for the info Jujupilote; I will review those airfields.

@Buckerfan, thanks for the clarification… do you recall if you dropped your plane in Apron L or P?

LEMT, Spain

The tower directed me to park at the north end of the main apron. However, I am Jet A and the truck came to me. If you are avgas I think you may need to go to a oumo elsewhere.

I ask because according to the AIP, Aprons A and P require handling, only L does not, but according to AIP with more than 11m wingspan we can’t go to L.
So end of main apron is probably A or P but they didn’t require Handling… good to know. Probably they are flexible with that requirement.

LEMT, Spain

My wingspan is 13.11 m. No one at the airport has ever mentioned that I need handling. Not once in 8 or 10 visits. Just go there and don’t ask them about handling.

Oftentimes in European GA it is better to pretend ignorance and go than to ask too many questions.

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 16 Oct 08:27

Buckerfan wrote:

Oftentimes in European GA it is better to pretend ignorance and go than to ask too many questions.

I guess different personal approaches: if you want 100% written and signed certainty, 90% of the stuff we do in GA would simply not be possible. A more relaxed approach as @Buckerfan sais PROB90 pays off, even if you may occasionally have to accept the bad 10%

I tend to do phone calls (vs emails) and measure carefully which questions I ask…like “are there any restrictions for our flight to XXX tomorrow” vs “is handling required for an YY type” I usually try to get the name of the person on the phone…it can be helpful later like “but ZZZ told me it was OK” . The type of response may give you a hint of an impending risk like below. I also find being kind to all those “putting up” with GA helps. I tend to carry small tokens of appreciation to give away on such occasions. Something as simple as a badge or sticker from your local club can be appreciated. Like @LeSving once famously said: I not only do that for my own sake, but for all of GA.

Of course such an approach will not work at places like LEPA, LEIB or LIEE (or probably Fraported Greece), where you will simply be ripped off, or anywhere that customs are involved, but you get the point…technique to be used judiciously at own risk after some basic due diligence.

PS: last time I was at Limoges was 15+ years ago…

Last Edited by Antonio at 16 Oct 08:46
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Been there several times in a PA46, no handling

EGTF, LFTF
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message