Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An enjoyable VLOG - Cardinal RG across the Atlantic

I enjoyed watching this series over the last few weeks. Last summer, this guy from Lithuania (don’t know his exact aviation background) flew his Carginal RG across to Central Canada, on a private mission (not a ferry flight). He took his time and the captured views of Iceland and Greenland are amazing. He was a bit clueless at times, but then he was also mentally very flexible and relaxed, which helps. If I ever fly across the NAT, I would like it to be similar to this. The series consists of 8 videos, starting here:

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Very enjoyable videos. Thanks for sharing Bosco.

EDMB, Germany

Thanks for sharing @boscomantico

EYKS (Lithuania), LELG (Spain), Lithuania

Thx Bosco! It is indeed enjoyable. The trip is divided into 15-25 mins chapters which means you need some time to follow up but it is manageable.
Photography is excellent due to clear-view openable windows on both sides of the plane. He does take us along real nicely from Lithuania to the US (and hopefully back, but not there yet as instalments go!) .

THe whole trip resonates a lot with us since for eight years we used to own a 1976 177RG that we ferried from the USA in a similar transatlantic route. They are extremely capable “little” birds. They carry as much useful load as a TB20 (more if you factor lower fuel consumption) and fly almost the same speed (ours cruised at 150KTAS ROP) on only 200hp.
I was surprised at the low power settings the author usually flies at 2300RPM/130KTAS. Our typical cruise was WOT+2500RPM at around 9GPH LOP @140KTAS. Sometimes 2600 or even 2700RPM above FL120 but most of the time 140KTAS.I wonder if it is for engine care or for range.
Just as I was starting to think it was all “too easy” (in relative terms) to travel solo (vs with company) the family did join him Canada (I imagine travelling airlines) for the trip into the US. Great job!

Last Edited by Antonio at 14 Apr 20:56
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Yes, thank you for pointing this channel out! I really enjoyed all his video’s so far.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Just finished savouring the 9th, almost as good as Beethoven’s.

Very good stuff really. Superbly filmed, narrated, presented, and flown. Yes, those vids do brings back some fantastic memories 😉
I also like this guy since he mixes the pure joy of flying with the abilities of his equipment as dictated by Mother Weather, more below.

PS
Antonio wrote:

I wonder if it is for engine care or for range.

It could be to fly efficiently (drag is proportional to velocity squared rings in the back of my mind), which saves on the engine, reduces FF, also reduces internal and external noise, and increases the time flying as in pleasure.
Luckily there are still many pilots around flying not to play airliner, nor to tick off destinations, nor to be in time for business meetings, nor to bring bored (or anxious, sick, etc) family members or friends to their destination ASAP, but supreme luxury for savouring the simple fact of floating thru the 3rd dimension and watching ground features fly past… 🥱 I know 😉.
Of course that luxury is mostly available if one owns his aeroplane since most rentals are wet and only encourage fuel waste… food for a new thread 😋

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Very enjoyable! Well done (flying, filming, editing, all)!

ESOW, Sweden

Very nice style of production and content. Quite a bit of thought must go in to making it flow, and also look effortless.

Trying to figure out what folding bicycle he used.

Also what insurance arrangement he went for, and how easy it was to get a B-1 visa (he lived in Canada so may enjoy some Canadian residency).

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

B1/B2 are easy visa’s for owner pilots.
Just do yourself a letter explaining that you will be ferrying or traveling with our plane to the States and they will give you a B1/B2.
Depending on locations, you cannot anymore enter the States on a C1/D visa without working for an airline.

Hope that’s help
Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message