Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Summer 2014 Fly-In - Corsica 5-8 September

See Posting Tips for this.

The most common problem is that the quoted text has to be a paragraph by itself i.e. a blank line above and below (unless a posting starts with a quote in which case the blank line above is obviously not needed).

A future version of the forum software will attempt to reformat the text appropriately; also to fix the common issues with italic etc attributes.

There are many hotels in Calvi. Probably dozens. I just had to start somewhere, so that hopefully a number of us end up together That hotel may not have the best cancellation policy…

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Jul 14:55
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Copy all that at #91. Thanks Peter. No probs. with the cancellation. It’s not come to that yet – will find a ‘work round’ if it does.
Like somebody in at an hotel with good ‘policy’ may want to cancel and take ours (David Clay & John Parkinson) if 36E becomes ‘no go’.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 28 Jul 07:37
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

I have one ‘Twin’ AND one ‘Double’ booked and paid for (they took the money) at Hotel Les Arbousiers.

Our aircraft is in engineering and although hopeful, feel sure it will not be ready in time for Calvi !!!

The total for the two rooms was €510, breakfast extra at €11. Cancellation is €85 per room.

I’m keeping the rooms at the moment, but feel sure they could be transferred to another name if required.

Think there is a way of e-mailing me direct from this EuroGA site.

Forgot to say the above at #93 is for three nights. Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

By happy coincidence we will be staying at our place in Ste-Maxime (plane parked at Cannes) at the end of Aug/early Sep and my wife today said why don’t we fly over to Corsica for a couple of days…so count us in!

Have booked into L’Hotel Les Arbousiers Fri to Sun

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 01 Aug 13:51
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Probably won’t be able to make it as my plan is not yet known and the weather in Switzerland has been so horrible this summer that crossing the alps on two or three consecutive days VFR is most unlikely. However, it’s after the alps where the problems really start.

I had a look at the latest map from AIP Italy re the Airspace structure on that way.

http://www.enav.it/enavWebPortalStatic/AIP/enr/enr6/ENR6-3-3.pdf

I don’t have my Jep View here so I am not sure which are the prescribed flight tracks between Corse and the Coast, but I think one went south from Albenga towards TALEP and then inbound either Bastia or Calvi. So basically the task is to plan from somewhere on the southern Swiss border to Albenga.

Basically, I would see two possible routes, were it not for the numerous LI-R’s on the way… Both involve scud running over the Po plain, but that is unfortunately something which is well known.

The one I used to fly on previous trips was SRNVOG at 2000 FT AMSL and then at 3000 ft south of Novi Ligure Danger Area D11, then north of the Genova Airspace towards TESTO and Savona. If I get it right, the Sector there allows up to FL080 for VFR, but conflicts with the Class D airspace of Genova, so it would be up to Genova Approach what altitude is realistic? I’d not feel very happy flying single engine over the sea at less than FL080 or better 120 or so, so it would mean to climb after leaving the VFR Sector Genova at Albenga and the cross from there.

The other route was via Locarno and then east of the Malpensa airspace towards Romagnano again at 2000 ft, but then there are some extensive Restricted Areas (LI-R101, 102, e.t.c.) which have lower limits at 1500 ft AGL and basically block the altitudes between 2000 ft and FL080. That would mean scud running over the Ligurian mountains just to then be able to climb shortly beore Albenga….

Which routes do those familiar with the Italian A roadblock recommend?

France is too much of a detour and then all in high mountaineous terrain unless one wishes to divert as far as to the Rhone Valley and then negotiate the airspace maze there.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Italy doesn’t prescribe the VFR tracks over the Med. Only France does (which, btw, is always a bit borderline in class G, but anyway).

Your recommended route would be SRN -VOGGENTORTU – Calvi. Really easy.

Have good lookout for traffic especially between SRN and VOG, it’s a real bottleneck there.

Initially 2000 feet, then 3000 once past VOG. You can climb to FL75 once about ten miles north of GEN. No worries, Genoa Approach will grant your climb.
No way to go any higher than FL75 until totally clear of the Milan TMA. But FL75 (btw, that also happens to be the correct semi-circular level for VFR southbound in Italy) should be plenty. Also, the Bay of Genoa is always full of small boats. The terrain near the coast on the other hand (with the exception of LIMG) is totally “unlandable”, so the water is actually safer.

Re restricted airspace, fortunately Italy treats it the way it should be (unlike Germany and possibly Switzerland who basically treat it like prohibited airspace), so just call up flight information and make your request for crossing. The airspace will either be deactivated or, if it’s active, they usually coordinate and let you fly through.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Aug 16:48
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

We emailed a reminder about the fly-in, and at least 50 people had duff email addresses. I would suggest everybody who didn’t get the email checks their configured email address.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you boscomantico.

ok, so even via Genova VOR, so much the better. I’ll keep that in mind.

Of course this does mean to first climb to cross the alps, then give up all this altitude for the crossing of the Milano Airspace and climb again… well, at least it is feasible.

Best regards
Urs

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Hi All

Hoping to make this fly-in, enjoyed our trip to Calvi earlier this year, just looking for a co-pilot at the moment…

Phil

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR
Sign in to add your message