Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sicily - Palermo LICP - EuroGA 4-5 Sep 2021 fly-in

This is the official italian web page where to find covid rules

https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it/returningtoitaly.html

This is what I get. Does anyone agree?

5 days’ isolation required in Italy. It means one cannot do e.g. UK → 5 days in Croatia → Italy. One would have to do UK → 14 days in Croatia → Italy.

EDIT: no response to this, and no disagreement in the telegram group

We have 14 aircraft on the list, of which 5 are from the UK and unless Italy changes this crazy rule, they won’t be able to go to Italy.

Italy originally set this Brit-exclusion rule until “at least end of August”.

Based on doing EuroGA meetups for almost 10 years, I reckon 50% will not turn up anyway (because that is what happens on fly-ins where there is no “organisation fee” like the €200+ which e.g. Cirrus charge). And all UK pilots will cancel, because most people plan their “social engagements” months ahead, and there are just 3-4 days from the end of August to 4th Sept.

So, I have an idea

Sicily is too far for most people (on the list) to fly nonstop. Especially if you want enough fuel in the tanks to fly on to somewhere with avgas and there is the slightest doubt about avgas (and in Italy or Spain there always is ), or they don’t like the price in Italy.

So I think most will stop enroute, probably in Italy or in Croatia.

And one could do that stop an overnight one. I certainly would because from UK or N Europe it is quite a long way for one day. Then we could have a meet-up there which would do for

• UK pilots
  • others who want a shorter journey

as well as continue with the meetup in Italy, to which all mainland pilots can come.

So how about meeting up somewhere nice in Croatia on say 3rd Sep? Mali Losinj or Brac are very nice, not overcrowded, and the last meetups we did there were years ago and AFAIK almost nobody on the current list came to any of those. Or Dubrovnik (the village of Cavtat is ideal, and near the airport) which is close enough to Sicily so you will have loads of fuel in the tanks at Palermo. I will fly from there (or from Sicily, if Italy drops the Brit ban) to Greece afterwards.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter At the moment we are at Czech Republic. Regarding Corona it is really relaxed here. We have been at Budjovice. Very nice town, on the water (although it is not on the sea you are able to swimming the River Moldava, as we did), enough hotel capacities, good restaurants, enough to see, nice fields in the surrounding aera and the airport has IR capabilities is absolutely uncomplicated, Avgas and Jet A1 are available. I can recommend it as destination. And one additional thing: it is close to the city center.

And for the ones looking for events and culture: you will find everything there.

EDDS , Germany

It looks lovely, Peter, and I never made it there when I lived there but I think most people who signed up for Sicily did want to go there, so my suggestion was a way of combining that, with a stop which most people will have to do anyway and where those who cannot enter Italy (due to its ban on Brits) could meet up instead.

These are hard times for most people and I am trying to come up with something good for all.

Administrator

For me Mali Losinj would even make a good destination for the whole weekend. It’s not even half the flight time away and we were planning to go there anyway this year.

Germany

Any views on whether the Mali Losinj stop should be 2nd Sep or 3rd Sep?

Administrator

No opinions offered so LDLO will be 2nd/3rd Sep, and on the 4th people can fly on to LICP.

There is a high probability that I won’t be able to get to Italy (due to their ban on Brits, with no practical way around it) so I suggest someone else takes over the organising of the Sicily meet-up. I’ve been in contact with someone who speaks Italian and who has passed the general details to LICP already.

Administrator

Why not simply change the meet up to another location that in principle works for all?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

One could, and to an extent that will happen with the stop at LDLO, but in the past when we changed the location, practically everybody dropped out.

The idea of the telegram group, and the forum here, is that people offer their views, but almost everybody is silent, so what can one do? It’s frustrating. Anyway I am not the organiser anymore

Also it is only Brits who can’t (probably) go to Italy, and we can’t do something which was done only for Brits.

I will do a mailing when I get around to it.

Administrator

Received this just now, following an email mailshot going out right now.

This may be of use.

Administrator

Just received this:

As I will probably not be able to enter Italy, somebody else will need to be organising this from now on.

It would be good to know who is still going. Most people are being very silent… Also is anyone planning to stop at Mali Losinj for the proposed part-way stop.

This is a frustrating exercise. This time we went to a lot of trouble to make sure the airport has enough room, etc, so we don’t get a repeat of Tivat (2019) where the airport imposed a limit of 10 aircraft, and with 20 “going” 10 dropped out, and of the remaining 10 only 5 were going to come anyway, so we got 5 out of 20

This time the Brits got shafted (well, so far; we will know for sure on 1st Sep) by Italy but that still left ~10 aircraft, say 20 people.

No wonder the type specific fly-ins (e.g. Cirrus) charge €200+ to each attendee. Then you know who is coming; the organiser would go crazy otherwise.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message