Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sicily - Palermo LICP - EuroGA 4-5 Sep 2021 fly-in

Anyone here with fresh expirence/knowledge re Sicily airports? Interested in Comiso, Ragusa. Any other suggestions. Thank you in advance.

EPBC

I used Catania (LICC) on 27 February. Handling, landing fees, 10 minute taxi to hotel, etc for a DA62 (2300kg) was EURO 124.34. Fuel (Jet A1) was an eye-watering EURO 1.73/litre!!!

Good service but next time I’ll be shopping around for cheaper fuel. That said, the following day I paid EURO 1400 for pretty much the same service at Aqaba!!!

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 28 Mar 10:29
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Last May 2017 we used Palermo’s Bocca Di Falco (LICP) and Ragusa-Giubiliana (RG-03)

First, let me say a visit to Sicily is delightful. We’re going back this May and want to include Taormina and Catania in the itinerary.

LICP is friendly, practically in the center of Palermo, and has AVGAS.

I assume for Ragusa you plan to stay at Giubiliana hotel. It’s well worth it. We loved their cottages on the runway. The restaurant used to have a Michelin star, and as far as I am concerned still deserves it. The hotel has some of the best service I’ve seen anywhere, instantly responsive without being obsequious. Everyone there seems happy doing their job and they clearly like their boss (a Sicilian aristocrat whose family has owned the estate a couple hundred years). He is an architect; his mother was a restorer. The attention to esthetic detail is impressive.

You will need PPR to land. Because of 2 fatal accidents in 6 months several years ago, the owner is reluctant to give it. He is a pilot and fears the airfield will be closed if there’s another one. So you’ll need to convince him of your fitness to land.

Tököl LHTL

I landed to Comiso two years ago (not so recent) and it was great experience. Total bill (landing, handling and 5 days parking) was below €100. Friendly staff, fast and efficient, not much traffic, rental car office at the airport… perfect spot for start exploring Sicily. I don’t remember fuel prices but IIRC they don’t have 100LL (it can be found in Palermo Bocca di Falco) and Jet-A1 is bit more expensive than on mainland.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

AfricanEagle wrote:

Heard a chopper over the frequency on Saturday. “Destination Panarea, landing on a yacht”.

Any experiences of Pantelleria and/or Lampedusa?

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

I have visited them both, albeit too many years ago now.
Both are very doable for GA and not too expensive. Plus, both are quite interesting.

Pantelleria is mixed military/civil, and a bit formal on the PPR procedure. In addition to Jet-A, they even sell Avgas! The Island doesn’t have any apprciable sand beaches, and only limited tourism. Highlights are a natural sauna (in a mountain cave) and a queer little lake (seen on final approach. Capers grow all over the Island. They are quite big, and a feature of the Island. The architecure and food there are strongly influenced by the proximity of Africa.

Lampedusa is civil, and the PPR procedure is more simple. During certain times, there are operating restrictions for fixed wings due to big ships in the harbour (right on final). No Avgas there. The main town is in walking distance from the airport. Lampedusa is more touristic than Lampedusa. They have a few nice sandy beaches, the most famous one being the “Spiaggia dei Conigli”. Lampedusa is of course most famous for the affluence of refugees from Northern Africa, but that doesn’t really become too apparent for the occasional tourist.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks boscomantico – very interesting. Both sound like good destinations and not too far to hop from one to the other… maybe combined with a stopover in Palermo, or Trapani if it’s a nice place?

jgmusic

Palermo: a hugely interesting city, but quite a bit chaotic, too. Avoid in summer, but do go in early spring or late fall.
Two airports: Punta Raisi and Boccadifalco.
Punta Raisi is a big airline airport, but still works for GA. They do have Avgas. Fees in the order to 150 Euros. The handling agent is “Fly Service”. A bit far away from the city, but with good connections.
Boccadifalco is the aeroclub airfield of the city. Interesting and challenging VFR approach. The airfield is a short taxy ride from the city. Bumpy Asphalt runway. No “services”, but friendly aeroclub people. Avgas available by “aeroclub Arrangement”, but expensive. Fees approx. 50 Euros.

Trapani is a mixed military/civil airport, but getting PPR is merely a very simple email. Less busy than Punta Raisi. Lower fees. Less faff. Cheap rental cars. Trapani town is not so special, nor is Marsala. Two tips: for beach, go to San Vito Lo Capo (1hr). Fantastic beach and scenery. For heritage/sightseeing, drive to Erice (20 min by car).

Brilliant, thanks for the tips

jgmusic

I digged out a few photos of Palermo, Trapani, Pantelleria and Lampedusa…

Palermo Boccadifalco (LICP)

Palermo Punta Raisi and Palermo city

Trapani-Birgi (LICT), San Vito Lo Capo, Trapani city

Pantelleria (LICG) and the island

Lampedusa (LICD) and the island

Last Edited by boscomantico at 18 Jun 19:16
Sign in to add your message