Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Visiting the north of Finland during winter?

I’ve only flown there commercially, but Dagali airport (ENDI) takes you into the Hardangervidda mountain plateau of Norway.

Get DNA membership and you can ski tour around the catered huts or stop at the unmanned ones.

Best time is around Easter with longer days and often fine clear weather.

It is close to Geilo, which is a popular winter resort, but you can soon get away into the open country. Even taking the train from Geilo to Finse gets you into some wonderful ski touring country.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

I thank you all for mentioning Røros. I will present that idea to my family and likely we will go there sometime in the future. Pictures looked very nice.

I’m not afraid of night flying in a Cirrus SR22. But then I should probably not try to land on snow with the boots on :-) However, they can be removed and then I would guess snow or grass doesn’t make a bit difference – does it? But then night means likely IFR and that means probably also towered airport and hence a clean runway.

Frequent travels around Europe

also towered airport and hence a clean runway.

Well, mostly. However, there is clean and there is clean. Røros is one of a couple of airports in Norway that struggle to keep a clean, or “black” runway during winter, that is remove most deposits. The reason is low air temps, leading to low ground temps, which in turn makes chemicals used to remove ice impractical/impossible.

The result can sometimes be a hard packed cover of snow of ice, gritted, and with decent friction.

A brush-up on SNOWTAM decoding might be in order: Link

Hokksund/ENHS

That said light aircraft have no problems at all landing on snow-covered runways, as long as the snow is somewhat packed, or on icy runways, as long as the runway length is adequate and there is not too much crosswind for the runway friction. Landing on a lake where the snow has been removed to create a runway is a non-event. Generally the ice provides “relatively” good friction as long as it has not melted and frozen again.

LFPT, LFPN
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message