Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skiing in Austria (merged threads)

Nice pics

I’ve just got back from Filzmoos, just as it started to rain there, and with +6C the place is basically finished until (a) they get a LOT more snow and (b) it gets cold and stays cold. It may not happen this winter. So I am looking at Kaprun, as posted before. Filzmoos was tremendous for learning and I learnt to do resonable parallel skiing. It has a great slope for that

but I would have never attempted this one

Even at this small place, somebody broke an arm or a leg every day, and there was a pool of blood about 1/3 down a slope which ended with the one above…

This is from the top of the cable car

In GA terms I would not do Filzmoos because it is €110 by taxi from either Salzburg (whose GA options have already been well covered in this thread) or Zell am See (likewise, but different and more viable, but needs CAVOK wx to get in, and almost no cloud to get out of without getting ice).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No question about it, flying to go skiing is not very practical in Europe. If Zell Am See was only 1300M long with a nice GPS approach it would be great. But Alas. I was late getting to the mountain thinking if I left later the traffic on the Autobahn 8 would be lite but that didnt happen. 2.5 hrs instead of 1.5. Then the parking lot was full had to wait 2 hrs to get in. So I did 1/2 day skiing on Sat. What I learned was to go weekday and make sure no local school breaks are in process.

Thats using the car and its a PITA. I would fly into EDMA since its not that much farther than Munich to the ski areas. But since I have a place in Munich I fly into EDMA then set out the next day or two for the slopes.

KHTO, LHTL

We have flown in to Annecy and skied at La Clusaz, about 30 minutes from Annecy. Very enjoyable, it’s not tremendously high but seems to have a good snow record.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Neil wrote:

Annecy

That is not bad. Nice airport! From the satellite view they dont appear to be stuck up ie no GA wanted and Only for the rich and famous.

What else can you tell us about the airport?

KHTO, LHTL

Annecy trip report here

It is a great place to fly to – so long as you can work out the AIR-BP-only fuel pump with French menus

But I discovered a google translate app which translates text directly so you just hold the phone over the item (a restaurant menu, etc) and the stuff appears as-is but translated!

Administrator

Good info Thanks

KHTO, LHTL

That sounds like a useful ap, got a link?

Forever learning
EGTB

I am likely to do one more ski trip before all the snow goes.

Any suggestions?

I can now parallel ski, but still limited to a 5.5 degree glideslope

The place I went to just now has only got about 2 weeks of snow left, and with a pretty hard surface. And I think we are facing the Easter holidays, no?

There should be good snow higher up but the Big Q is whether there are any slow slopes higher up. I have heard the whole spectrum about Kaprun (for example) with some saying the snow is very hard.

Administrator

Anyone up for Zell am See for the weekend of 25-27 March?

Administrator

That’s the Easter weekend. I would be surprised if you find statisfactory accomodation on that short notice.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria
Sign in to add your message