Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lavender

A colleague of mine asks if I can fly him and his wife to the South of France for her birthday – she loves lavender, but they’re dreading the drive down there from Stuttgart and besides, they like the adventure of flying (well, he does. She doesn’t know yet).

I’d like to make this possible for them and it would be great if the French here (and those who know the area) could help me out with some advice.

As destination airfield, I’m currently looking at Vinon-Sur-Verdon (LFNF). Any recent recommendations? Is this worthwhile? Any idea about how to move on from there (getting a rental car delivered to the field, for example) and accomodation? It should probably be somewhat romantic for them – for myself, I don’t care (unless I bring a plus one, of course).

Remembering that this is mostly about getting the lady to see some nice lavender, landscapes, and having a good time for a day or two, would you recommend any other airfield than LFNF?

What’s the best time to do this? I reckon mid-July to August…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I would fly to Cannes and drive to Grasse. That is the place of all places. Incredible climate and smell everywhere. Visiting the fragrance factories is also well worth it. I can’t explain but I considered Grasse to be like a planet of its own. It’s a very unique ambience and the world capital of fragrances.

I like flying to small airfields. However, since getting a rental car at some small airfield often isn’t easy, in these cases I just take the more “standard” IFR / airline airports.

So, I would take Avignon (don’t forget your tie-downs… ) and then take it from there. The area to the east of Avignon (the “Vaucluse” ) is beautiful.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Danke, I’ll let them/him choose but I’ll pass on the advice. I find the idea of flying into the small airfield quite romantic, too – even if there is not much to see/do.. But I guess those two larger airports with the associated infrastructure have their charme, too…

Hi Patrick

Vinon (LFNF) is one of my practice spots for touch & go’s (must be somthing like 20 miles away from my base field).

It is somewhat romantic, with the opportunity to overfly the “Gorges du Verdon” and go canyoneering/ hiking / camping there.

However:
- it is a french-only uncontrolled airfield
- no rentals are available
Unless you know somebody down there who could drive you to Manosque or Aix en Provence, you would be quite stuck there.

But there are plenty of other options on the area:
- Avignon (LFMV) would clearly be a good option: controlled airfield, avgas and rentals available. The nearby city centre is definitely worth a visit
- Salon de Provence (LFNE) is also lovely (that’s where I live btw). No ATC, French only. I could give you a ride to the car rental if you need. Opportunities to go walk in the “Alpilles” for lavender, close to the sea and to Aix en Provence.
- Aix-les-milles (LFMA): THE local GA field, ATC available and all facilities. Landing fee is around 5eur, don’t know about parking. Clearly a central spot if you want to visit Marseille, Aix en Provence or hike on the “Montagne Ste Victoire”
- Le Castellet: to be avoided. Outrageously expensive since 2013. They are trying to attract bizjets only.
- Berre-la-Fare (LFNR, my home base) Is restricted but I could arrange that for you. Not much to write home about there, yet.
- Carpentras: easy and cheap, no ATC. The closest airfield to the “Mont Ventoux” (which could meet the lavender requirement too)
- Gap (LFNA) is worth a visit, although a bit further up north. Mountain area, great hiking opportunities in the vicinity. It is also a famous parachuting base. Traffic information is provided there. No rentals but you could easily get a cab

Please keep me posted, it’d be a pleasure to come and say hello at any of the locations above!

LFNR

Many thanks, @Alboule, for these tips! I’ll definitely keep the forum posted and I’ll also happily send you a private message once destination has been confirmed. I might like to give the two guests some privacy anyway and will be glad to meet like-minded folks there. :)

Patrick,

Avignon is a great airport as well as a great city and right in the middle of the cake when it comes to the Provence. I went there several times, rented a car and went off to see the local sights, from the city itself which is great, to the “usual” tourist spots like the Pont du Gard, Les Beaux, Arles, Fontvieille (Daudets Mill). If you want to go to the sea, I love Montpellier and the area there for that. Huge long beach all the way to Aigues Mortes (lovely place to see), very reasonable charges and all facilities.

Where to find lavender is a tough one for me to answer, but I’d think somewhere in the region there should be some.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Gap is in very nice country but as an airfield it can be overwhelming. Three parallel runways, one grass for the gliders. Parajumping and glidertow going on all the while, on nice days, and both the meat bombers and the glider tugs tend to land “the other way round” for faster turn-around. I took a trip from there with an instructor, during our 03 take-off roll a Pilatus Porter reported final 21, and my pilot, with an air of superior nonchalance, told me to take a look “down there” if I could see him – I couldn’t. Pilot quietly continued the climb, poor self was slightly worried but it all went ok. Really beautiful scenery.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Hi,

Lavander is part of my job and I like flying over this aria to check production. Vinon can be a good choice but nothing around. Gap is a very very good airfield. A lot of activities, 2 restaurants and 2 hotels, even shops for all aeronauticals gadgets ! Try to go there when AFIS is operative if you don’t speak french. Anyway often Pilatus pilots are very kind and helpful
For a good lavender trip, the best period is end of june or begining of july.

Of course you must fly over Valensole plateau at low altitude, it is the place with the biggest fields for lavandin.
after that a good place is Ferrassières (find the village on google maps) all albion plateau is nice (take care of the small military base)
In the end if you want to see true lavander go to a very small village : Lagarde d’Apt.

Fly very early in the morning, coulor are the best, or late in the evening. (but very early is better)… You will see the sadow of the plane runing in lavander !

I’m based in LFNV but there is only a Club. I fully agree with Alboule for his analysis of the around airfields.

(my advise is GAP, you are on spot in a air sport capital) Take care of gliders also.

Feel free to ask more

PPG

PPG
LFNV

Flown to Avignon in 2013, it’s a nice airport, be sure to fill up after you land. It took me ages to get AVGAS before departure, was cheap tho. To stay in the lavender theme I can highly recommend this B&B it is right around the corner of Carpentras airfield, by the way.

Last Edited by Bobo at 11 Jun 13:21
EHTE, Netherlands
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message