Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Scotland to Nurnberg VFR

I’m planning a trip to EDDN around the 4th of March, first trip to Germany. I have Mode S and 8.33 (if required), otherwise I guess it’s just like Brirtain or France but having to wait until the end of every sentence for the verbs…

Is there anything else I should know?

Is EDDN GA friendly? Do I need PPR?

There seem to be some nice small airfields around Nurnberg, I wonder how to contact them…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

EDDN has been very nice lately to me and my SR22. You can come in 24/7. No hassle. Reasonable charges.

Pro tip: to get a taxi let the follow me drive you to the main terminal. Taxis are waiting outside. No wait no extra charge

Frequent travels around Europe

I would drop them an email

http://www.airport-nuernberg.de/161675/Contact

Other than the big coordinated airports Germany never seems to need PPR. Never been to Nürnberg but doubt it is expensive.

EGTK Oxford

Hello!

Jacko wrote:

Is EDDN GA friendly?

I would say: Yes. It’s an international airport with not a lot of traffic and 24hours opening time, a dedicated GA terminal (in close walking distance to the main terminal), lots of parking space for light aircraft and maintenance if required. Not as cheap as the grass fields nearby of course.

Jacko wrote:

Do I need PPR?

No.

Enjoy Nürnberg, it’s always worth a visit!
Max

EDDS - Stuttgart

Hi Jacko,

I used to live and fly in the Nürnberg area.

EDDN is no problem at all for GA. No PPR whatsoever required (as is standard for the bigger German airports). Not entirely cheap (and certainly no GA atmosphere there), but not expensive either (say 50 Euros per landing and 10€ parking per day).

The “main” VFR GA airfield of the Nürnberg area is EDQH, Herzogenaurach (home of adidas). I think that coming from the northwest, that suits you best. Nice Italian restaurant on the field. Good opening hours. No PPR required. No good public transport to Nürnberg though.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I was there last year.

You need hi-vis for all persons.

And there is a subway direct to the city. Traveltime about 15min. Ticketprice about 2€/p to the mainstation.

EDWF, Germany
I would say: Yes. It’s an international airport with not a lot of traffic and 24hours opening time, a dedicated GA terminal (in close walking distance to the main terminal), lots of parking space for light aircraft and maintenance if required. Not as cheap as the grass fields nearby of course.

I can think of many German airports like that…. Leipzig comes to mind.

You need hi-vis for all persons.

Really? That is very non German.

Last Edited by JasonC at 13 Feb 18:27
EGTK Oxford

Yes you need hi-vis! Also on the isle of Westerland/Sylt. Getting more and more

EDWF, Germany

Interesting. I’ve been there several times in November and December. Landed mostly at night. Nobody was mentioning hi-vis at all. I was always driven around and did my preflight check as always. I did buy O2 and the mechanic did not wear hi-vis on the apron either. He filled my tank there.

Frequent travels around Europe

Same in February. I have been there and no hi-vis required. Nice GA friendly airport.

EDDS , Germany
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message