Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying through France

Peter wrote:

For some reason I never got a clearance for VFR above FL115, ever, in France, anywhere.
Was there never Class A above FL200?

During the last 5 years, UTA has always been a class C airspace. I’m not sure if it changed in the past.

In France, you have two kinds of en-route FIS outside controlled airspace:
1. SIV
2. CIV

SIV is an area defined in which an approach controller gives you flight information service in class E/G. SIV is also in charge of IFR flights in this area.
The SIV ATC works alongside the TMA controller. According to the traffic load, both positions (TMA and SIV) can be merged.

CIV exists where there is no SIV. CIV provides FIS to VFR (and only VFR) in class E/G by an en-route FISO located in the ACC.
IFR traffic flying outside a SIV in class E/G is handled by an IFR sector of the ACC.

Basically, outside a SIV, although VFR and IFR traffic are flying in the same same area, they are not handled on the same frequency.

This is why SIV offers better quality of service. The idea is to cover the whole country with SIV’s and close CIV’s.

In fact, ACC (area control center), usually don’t like to handle VFR in controlled airspace they are in charge.
This is why you will never get a VFR clearance in Paris FIR above FL115.

But in other FIR, such as Bordeaux, the vertical limit between approach control and en-route ACC is set at FL145.
And it’s usually no problem to fly VFR in the FL115 – 145 range when approach control is in charge of controlled airspace.
As ATC, I’ve seen VFR traffic flying at FL125 in Bordeaux FIR.
But I don’t know if it’s possible to get a VFR clearance above FL145 in Bordeaux FIR, as it’s the ACC who is charge of that airspace.

21 Posts
Sign in to add your message