Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Overnight stops (UK to Greece)

I’m planning a trip from the UK down to Greece in a couple of weeks. Weather permitting, I’ll be leaving the UK around 5PM and flying somewhere around 500nm away, staying the night, then carrying on to Athens the next day.

Salzburg looks like a geat place for a late night stop – straightforward and friendly airport, good opening hours, plenty of hotels nearby etc.

This got me thinking: we spend a lot of time talking about airports as destinations, but what makes a good intermediate tech stop, and where are they?

At the moment, Salzburg looks like my best bet (thinking of routing Belgrade-Athens the next day). Where else should I look?

EGEO

Salzburg is good. Try and avoid the expensive handling.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

There’s no obligatory handling in LOWS. It’s great for a night stop. If you want to stay economically, I recommend the “Motel One” on the Salzach river (a German budget design hotel chain). If you want to treat yourself to something special (or if you are travelling with a significant other), dinner among the historic aircraft in Hangar 7 is highly recommended. You may even be able to leave your plane on their apron until next morning.

LYBE, as you may already know, has possibly the cheapest AVGAS in Europe. It is also a great town to discover with plenty of nightlife.

Where arw you going to in Greece?

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Salzburg is good. I was there in December with a DA42 but cannot remember what I paid. I’ll try to dig it up for you.

Have you considered Linz? If it is only a tech stop and you do not have any interest in sight-seeing the town…

In either case I think you need to expect to pay something like € 70 in various fees.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

Have you considered Linz? If it is only a tech stop and you do not have any interest in sight-seeing the town…

Linz is quite a nice place and has one of the most beautiful beer gardens (!!) everywhere, but there’s nowhere to stay at the airport. Taxi into town runs around EUR 35 each way. Fees most likely same / similar to SBG, although a lot less traffic.

Can’t say it’s the world’s greatest airport, but Stockerau (LOAU) has decent priced fuel and they provide a courtesy car for you to use. There isn’t much to see in Stockerau, but with a car, you could drive the 20 minutes to Vienna and see more than enough.
Landing fee is minimal.

If it is of any interest to you, see their homepage and “flugplatz” in the menu to take a look at that little wonder of a car if you’re interested.

If you’re feeling adventurous, it is also possible to fly over Vienna directly along the Danube.

Last Edited by AF at 04 Jul 20:38

Thanks all. Salzburg looks perfect!

blueline wrote:

LYBE, as you may already know, has possibly the cheapest AVGAS in Europe. It is also a great town to discover with plenty of nightlife.

The plan is to get down to Athens pretty quickly, pick up a friend, and spend a week or so hopping back to the UK. A couple of nights in Belgrade are definately on the cards.

AF wrote:

it is also possible to fly over Vienna directly along the Danube.

Thanks, that sounds like a lot of fun!

EGEO

Yes, the Vienna VFR route is definitely a treat. There’ll be an article about Vienna/Stockerau in an upcomong issue of the German “Fliegermagazin”.

However, for a no-hassle overnight stop on your route, perhaps with good food in the evening, nothing beats Salzburg.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

May I ask, jwoolard, why departing the UK as late as 5pm?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

May I ask, jwoolard, why departing the UK as late as 5pm?

Hoping to get a full day of work in … to pay for all of this …

EGEO
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message