Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IWA 2017 (Nuremberg)

Are any of you flying to the IWA trade show in Nurnberg next month (arguably home of the best curry-house between London and the sub-continent)?

And just out of interest, what is the English equivalent of a German “Sonderlandeplatz” (special airfield)? Is it just an aerodrome for which “PPR” is nominally required?

Are there any moderately interesting ones on or near a straight line from Calais to Nuremberg? Are there any others which are “worth a detour”?

Thanks in advance,
PJ

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

arguably home of the best curry-house …

What a sacrilege to eat curry in a place like Nürnberg

One has to eat Rostbratwürste and Sauerkraut, maybe accompanied by Kartoffelknödel (dumplings made from mushed potatoes). Myself I am a vegetarian, but in Nürnberg I would not dare to eat anything else.

Jacko wrote:

what is the English equivalent of a German “Sonderlandeplatz” (special airfield)? Is it just an aerodrome for which “PPR” is nominally required?

I don’t think that there is an equivalent. A Sonderlandeplatz has no guaranteed opening hours (as a “Verkehrslandeplatz” or Airport would have). But there is no requirement to obtain prior permission – without that, you just risk to find the airfield closed when you arrive.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Aerodromes in Germany are either Verkehrslandeplatz or they are Sonderlandeplatz. These last do not have official operating hours, though they may give hints, perhaps on their website. They are certainly not required to accept traffic, which, in my approach, makes them practically PPR. A Verkehrslandeplatz does have to publish operating hours, which go into the AIP, and are obliged to accept traffic during those operating hours. Which still makes a phone call before take-off a good idea, if only to have an idea of how well they speak English. The one like the other are subject to Flugleiterpflicht which means there must be one to answer the radio, and to tell you what runway is in use and such, during their operating hours. A few fields seem to have automatic radio responders in place, I am unsure how that works but it will have been discussed and tested thoroughly.

Regarding the food, I somewhat agree with @what_next: typical dishes should be enjoyed at their home location. Still, I’d prefer the Knödel in Slovakia or in Poland or even Austria, and the Sauerkraut in the Elsaß aka Alsace. And where’s the juniper berries in that picture?

As for interesting fields on the route: Coburg should not be far off, @Boscomantico reported on it recently. Other names that come to mind are Schwäbisch Hall, and Rothenburg ob der Tauber – prominent on my own wish list.

And to answer the opening question: err, hm, no, so sorry, this IWA thing has no interest for me. If ever I visit Nürnberg it will be because of its traditional toy industry. Weren’t the Fleischmann and Märklin model trains born there, for example?

Last Edited by at 14 Feb 18:50
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Thanks @what_next, that’s v. helpful.

And yes, there’s a good chance that we may, at some point, become a sausage – or twelve…

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

A few fields seem to have automatic radio responders in place, I am unsure how that works but it will have been discussed and tested thoroughly.

Some tried that (Bautzen/EDAB, a frequent destination for me, had one on trial for some time) but I don’t know if there are any left. Even with such a system in place, a radio operator (“Flugleiter”) is required to be on site. He has to monitor the automated system all the time and whenever there are more than three aircraft on the frequency he must take over “maually”. So it really only offers an advantage during really quiet times.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Yes, Nurnberg is a lovely place for sightseeing – the National museum, the parade grounds and documentation centre, the castle, Albrecht Duerer’s house, the toy museum, pencil museum, planetarium, the tower of the senses, the art bunker which saved the city’s treasures from the tender attention of our “Project Propeller” passengers… – to name but a few.

@WN: if a Flugleiter is still required I cannot imagine why an airfield operator would spend a good deal of money and effort. Less well thought-out than I trusted those solid German authorities…

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

As a partial correction of the above, it’s not the a Sonderplandeplatz does not have any fixed published opening hours. Many of them do. What they don’t have is an agreed opening times obligation towards the licensing authority. So the difference between the two is a licensing thing. But both are licensed.

Since aerodrome licensing is not governed on a European level, every country has its own logics and categories, hence there is no exact equivalent elsewhere. Even the “ouvert à la CAP” / “usage restreint” differentiation from France is different.

It’s generally true though that Verkehrslandeplätze are plain boring, flying-wise, whereas Sonderlandeplätze are generally more interesting, but there are exceptions to this as well. Many Sonderlandeplätze are in fact quite boring.

Two interesting ones are here.

But note that many Sonderlandeplätze effectively go into hibernation, therefore, in March, many will be out of the equation.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Feb 19:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Many Sonderlandeplätze are in fact quite boring.

What exactly do you mean by “boring”? My passengers need to fly somewhere, I pick the closest airfield with sufficient runway length and strength and fly there. I am not after thrills, I need the job getting done. And I guess so do 99% of aviators when it comes to picking a destination.

And regarding opening hours: I once flew to a “Sonderlandeplatz” during their published opening hours (as you rightly say – they can publish what they want but they have no obligation to be open) and when asking for landing information was told that the airfield was closed until noon because the runway was used for “car trials”. Since that day I call (or have the company call) in advance to every airfield I am supposed to fly to, no matter what they pubish or not.

EDDS - Stuttgart

What exactly do you mean by “boring”? My passengers need to fly somewhere, I pick the closest airfield with sufficient runway length and strength and fly there. I am not after thrills, I need the job getting done. And I guess so do 99% of aviators when it comes to picking a destination.

Not quite. The majority of people here is flying privately, and primarily for fun, paid for from their earned and taxed income. If you want 99% of people just wanting to “get the job done with their paying passengers”, then I am afraid you have to stick to the “aircrew” section of proon.

Also, Jacko, flying a Maule taildragger, was specifically asking for interesting airfields along his route, so that was the context. What one considers “interesting” is obviously up to every individual.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Feb 20:07
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message