Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Holidays in Scotland

@Misc, we will fly to London from Glasgow. I have never been to Scotland so have no idea about how many tourists I will encounter in the countryside in July. No, I don’t want to go to Scotland just to say I was there, I’d like to see as much as we can with the constraints we have in terms of available days and my wife’s condition (Morbus Bechterew).

LSZH

@placido, you asked

What type of weather shall we expect in July in Scotland? Could it be like really cold, single degree Celsius during the day?

and perhaps only Jacko is brave/foolish enough to answer?

Predictions about Scottish weather are famously unreliable, especially when they relate to future weather.
We live in the south west (the Scottish “riviera”), but we have lit a wood stove in every month of the year.
Maximum daytime temperature should be between 10 and 30 C.
It is possible that you will experience some precipitation. Our local highest daily rainfall was 81 mm on 10 July 1999.
If the west is wet, the east is often dry, and vice-versa.

Out of the cities, you may encounter a Scottish midge. Or quite a lot of them on a dull, still evening. We have a couple of traps which catch a quart or so of female midges every day or two at the beginning of the season. For skin protection, Avon “skin-so-soft” works as well as any proprietary repellent and probably contains fewer harmful chemicals, but being somewhere else is the only sure way to avoid being bitten.

Don’t let the above put you off, the weather may be glorious, but if you come prepared for the worst you won’t be disappointed.

ATB, Peter

Last Edited by Jacko at 28 Feb 22:38
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Aaahhh, the midges, I hate them and my son has a migde trauma, I better don’t tell him. Hm, I am a bit concerned. The weather I can cope with but being eaten alive is something I don’t fancy.

LSZH
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message