Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight to Ireland

Hi Thomas,

Let me ask the question, why do you want a “base”? Why not travel on each time rather than always returning to the same place each evening? If we understand that then maybe the answer flows from it.

The only airport that I can think of that has good public transport from it is EIWT Weston. It’s on the outskirts of Dublin. But actually, the most beautiful scenery in Ireland (from the air) is all along the west coast. So I’m not sure that it makes sense to constantly return to Dublin each evening!

Perhaps basing yourself on the west coast and getting a hire car would be a better idea?

EISG Sligo wouldn’t be a bad choice. A decent sized runway, and it’s possible to walk into Strandhill village (about 10 minutes walk along a quiet road). So if you could find somewhere to stay in Strandhill, then it would give convenient access to the airport. If you need a bigger town, Sligo is possible in a taxi without getting ridiculously expensive.

EIAB Abbeyshrule or EIBR Birr, are more central, but there isn’t a huge amount near Birr, and nothing at all near Abbeyshrule! In any case, I’d encourage you to spend most of your flying time along the west coast…just follow the coastline and you can’t go far wrong scenery wise!

What do you plan on doing here? Exploring by air, or basing yourself in one place and exploring by car for a few days then moving on?

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Just putting in a word here for beautiful, beautiful Kerry. There’s car hire on site and buses to Killarney and Tralee. While I agree with the touring rather than basing suggestion, Kerry is nonetheless a superb base for flying the ring of Kerry, Dingle Bay and the cliffs of Moher, to mention but a few. While at Dingle, you can head out to sea, turn back, and imagine you are Lindburgh, 20 Hrs out over the ocean and able to identify this place he’s never seen before, somewhere between Spain and Norway, just from a map. Now that’s flying!

Oh and just to mention that Shannon used to be GA friendly with good GA services, but I’ve not been there for a few years.

Last Edited by Aveling at 04 Apr 11:41
EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

We were very well welcomed at Newtonards.

Nice club atmosphere with rental cars available about 200m away.

LFCS (Bordeaux LĂ©ognan Saucats)
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message