Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Head North

Aviathor wrote:

Kjeller is an excellent choice but has very limited parking for visiting aircraft.

Plenty of space when I was there the week after midsummer two years ago.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Just a few ore things, you may already know, but just in case.

Parking is free for all members of a flying club. This also means AOPA members. It’s a personal thing. ie you have to be a member, who owns the plane is irrelevant, but the flight cannot be commercial if you want to park free.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thanks, LeSving. That’s really interesting. Is it true for all airfields or just the non-Avinor airfields? I assume this means all AOPA members, not just Norway AOPA members, correct? For instance, I seem to recall that Finland has some discounts for Finnish AOPA members, but not any others.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Is it true for all airfields or just the non-Avinor airfields?

Only Avinor airfields.

assume this means all AOPA members, not just Norway AOPA members, correct?

This is the wording:

All aircraft parking on Avinor airports are subject to parking charges, except aircraft operated by flight schools and flying club members. These aircraft are exemptedprovided they are operated on a non-commercial basis and have MTOM 2730 Kg or less.

In other words it is not restricted to AOPA members. The way I read it, if you are member of an aeroclub in France, it applies. And there is no reason it should apply to AOPA members and not to PPL/IR members for example.

LFPT, LFPN

The reason for this goes way back. Avinor and LT (the Norwegian CAA) used to be one unit called Luftfartsverket. At the airfields operated by Luftfartsverket, there was free parking for everybody, which of course is very good for clubs and private owners. Then Luftartsverket split up in a quasi commercial bit to handle the operational stuff – Avinor, and a non commercial entity to handle regulations and laws – Luftfartstilsynet, (LT). Avinor became the owner of airfields. Avinor eventually also started charging GA for parking, but exempted aircraft operated by members of clubs and where the flight is non commercial.

Looking at this on Flynytt, it is obvious that Avinor originally meant Norwegian aircraft, and club members under NLF, previous NAK (ideal air sport and recreational activity). However, the way this exemption is formulated, there are no differentiation between different clubs or different nationalities. Avinor has confirmed this parking with AOPA here. So AOPA is considered a “club” organisation just like NLF, even though AOPA is a political lobby organisation, not concerned with air sport or recreation.

Anyway, the thing is, Avinor couldn’t have started charging clubs (or other individual and companies) just like that in any case. It would be against the Law. They don’t have the right to do it. We have something called “hevd” (I have no idea what the English legal term is), and they cannot simply start charging for, or preventing utilization of the land by another part, where that utilization has been going on for more than 20 years, not without negotiations etc. I know that private individuals and companies (other than NLF), had individual agreements about further use.

I would be a bit surprised if officials at an arbitrary airport knows anything about this, maybe they do, maybe they don’t. A print out of the page wouldn’t hurt.

Funny thing when looking at AOPA Norway web site. They have a link to EuroGA

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
“hevd”

Customary law.

I would be a bit surprised if officials at an arbitrary airport knows anything about this, maybe they do, maybe they don’t. A print out of the page wouldn’t hurt.

When I was last in Norway two years ago, I was asked about parking fees once (I think it was in Molde). I referred to the AIC, but the person I talked to did not know anything about it. He chose to take my word for it and said he would check.

LFPT, LFPN

I got free parking at all Avinor airports last year, and I don’t remember having had to show my FFA member card (French aeronautical federation) or my AOPA card. So the knowledge seems to have propagated.

Interesting read – being in Norway right now
How come then, that Avinor advertises weekly parking cards on their website ?
AVINOR TAKE OFF & PARKING
Catching the gullible that haven’t come across it one way or the other ?

EDM_, Germany

ch.ess wrote:

How come then, that Avinor advertises weekly parking cards on their website ?

There are also pilots who are not members of a club (AOPA and PPL/IR qualify as clubs), and you also have revenue flights, and planes above 2730 kg none of which are exempt of parking fees.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 23 Apr 15:53
LFPT, LFPN

I also got confirmation by email from Avinor that either the PPL/IR membership or the club I am a member of in LPVL membership cards would be sufficient to waive the parking fees.
From what I got to see, the airport costs in Norway seemed extremely low, about 30 money units per visit, except if landing at, say, 3 am where that would only double.
Sadly one engine quit on the way so I never really got to find out in person.

Sign in to add your message