Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A little trip Shoreham EGKA to Bolzano LIPB Sep 2017

Some people like a cockpit view. I am not sure it adds anything unless you want to make a specific training video. And to do it well you need to do some work, due to the contrast between the panel and the outside. If you just mount a camera in the back of the plane it won’t show both at the same time adequately. Various solutions include a high dynamic range camera and post-processing, panel illumination (from behind the pilot), flying in low outside light conditions, etc. One previous thread here.

I don’t want to spend even more time on videos than I already do (it takes up a lot of time already, plus the cost of the hardware) but someday would like to try to do a moving map insert as described here. I know how to do it in general terms but don’t have the time at present.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It occurred to me that flying that LOC-DME procedure under VFR is actually a perfectly good way to fly to Bolzano, unless coming low level from the south and then you can fly up the canyon.

From anywhere else you will be at FL120 minimum and you have to descend somehow, and even at 25+ miles the descent will be something like 1000fpm, so you may as well fly the official approach.

The only gotcha is that if they have IFR traffic they won’t allow you, whereas they will allow low level VFR traffic to go up the canyon.

Administrator

No, they don’t allow any VFR traffic in the “Adige VFR sector”, which is quasi-CTA covering Bolzano and Trento, when there is an IFR approach/departure in progress. But without any traffic, this is quite rare nowadays.

When I go to Bolzano VFR from the north, I will usually be crossing the Brenner at 6000-10000 feet, then descend through the Eisack valley and reach Bolzano AD at say 3000 feet. A slightly prolonged downwind (01) or a short circle over the city (19) will take care of that. Saves at least 20 minutes over flying holds at FL150 and then the full procedure.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Oct 06:46
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You need to know what you are doing, to do that

The conditions also need to be good all the way down through the canyons to the north, whereas flying the IAP requires only clear skies in that one canyon, which can be established with the Bolzano webcam

Administrator

The video is excellent. The parts of the snow covered alps are just gorgeous!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Yes, good stuff with proper audio and all! Thank you for the video.

EFHF

Bolzano now has official avgas

Full trip report done here – a good use of two rainy days at the end of the year

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I wonder what lives in this hangar? Thunderbirds / International Rescue?

i just read this now and I can give you some feedback

the Hanger belongs to a “aviation mad” family 2 brothers with son(s) are all heavy Aviators 2 Citiations (one was away when pic was taken) , 1 Kodiak, a mega STOL Maule (that was the reason of my visit), Piper Cub, and as far I remember some sailplains in trailers from some friends.
The “office” part is apperently used for some functions or small events.

When I was inside I was totaly "speachless"about the size and shear “dream” facility !!!!

BTW we had Lunch in the Bistro from the Aeroclub (Basicly at half distance from his Hanger and the Main Building but on the other side of the fence) the food was extremly nice too!!!

Last Edited by Peter_Paul at 13 Jan 23:58
fly2000

Very nice video. I know I would not want to attempt it in any kind of wind greater than 25Kts due to down drafts and only with my plane moderately loaded since I dont have Turbocharging.Then again there is the icing in clouds issue. Not a forgiving airport to fly into unless the conditions are right.

What was your MP reading at FL160?

KHTO, LHTL

Thanks

I have found that winds aren’t much of an issue over the Alps if one is at least 5000ft above the terrain, which is usually the case on IFR flights. This flight

shows much worse turbulence but only after crossing the Alps.

The MP at FL160 will be whatever the ambient pressure is at FL160. I may have it written down in some notes but probably not because as I say it is whatever it is

This tends to suggest it would be about 19".

Administrator
Sign in to add your message