Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New British Airport Opens - St Helena FHSH

I wonder how they got the King Air down there. There is no possible alternate, unless you fit a massive internal fuel storage. I’ve seen that done; an Islander was fitted with a number of 200 litre drums.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We had to play PNRs with island reserves. PNR was ordinarily 250-300nm from destination (headwinds were generally encountered whilst outbound).

We have similar issues when working the Azores. One task takes us about 200nm west of Flores with the round trip from the nearest fuel being 700nm (Horta). After that, it is either Ponta Delgada (1:15hrs) or Lajes (0:45hr). Ferrying from mainland Portugal (normally) has to be done via Funchal although a stiff tailwind would make Faro – Ponta Delgada a possibility.

Here a snapshot of a PNR spreadsheet.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 14 Oct 19:55
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

The next flyin

The euroga flyins tend to become more and more exclusive :grin:

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I recall they did a few test flights with RJ100 airplanes (Ex Swiss, I believe with Toros). Looked neat to have that plane in the original livery (minus the Swiss cross and titles) on all the headlines.

I would think that the customs PNR should not be a real issue as the personel can not be too far away at any time really :) But yes, it would be a neat fly in destination and I reckon they would not mind the additional traffic as opposed to others.

Actually, the worst thing might be how to get there. From Europe and GA you need quite long ranges. Closest appears to be Luanda with 1190 NM followed by Walfish Bay with 1230 NM…. Out of direction Europe, both Sal and Dakar are well over 2000 NM away. So you’d have to stage out of Namibia and that means getting there first… There is not a lot of places on the West African coast I’d visit out of my free will…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message