Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Choosing a base airfield

I never land there but did some approaches for training, but as John said, it’s either bursty or nothing.
I may have done approaches twice there, but many times to Cannes; approaches are very close until last 15 miles because you are always vectored, piled up to the Visual for R04 at Nice, or to the VPT to Cannes. And you never do the whole approach, as even in the rush.

LFMD, France

jamiltz wrote:

LSZR looks great too. Sounds like it has the IFR infrastructure whilst being relatively small and easy to get around.
LSZR is not that great, since they have a hard daily midday break between 12:00 and 13:30 LT. Neither departures nor arrivals are allowed during the break, while most Swiss aerodromes do allow arrivals during the break.

For me, in Switzerland, LSGS is one of the best airports out there. Cheap, almost always VMC, public transport, fuel availability, good restaurant, customs+immigration, and no midday break. It does have a strict end of civil twilight or max 20:00 LT limitation, but in return, no midday breaks. You don’t need an IFR approach really, since the valley has only a few days of IMC per year, when the rest of half Europe is in bad weather too.

But I don’t live even close to LSGS, to make it a useful base for myself. Another option is LFSB, IFR approach, opening hours from 6 till 22 LT all-year round (no midday break), customs+immigration (for both Switzerland and France), fuel, restaurant, but even Basel is more than 1-hour drive by car…
Last Edited by Frans at 09 Jan 14:00
Switzerland

LFAT is also closed (well, FR-only … almost same thing) over lunch but that is not operationally relevant LSZR has had that totally silly lunch closure for many years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Steven_P should be perfectly OK for most SEP pilots. I presume you are planning to fly under PART-NCO?

I had not considered that but having reviewed https://pplir.org/representation-and-partnership/ as directed by the CAA website PART-NCO makes complete sense given my flying and future aircraft aspirations fall within scope. Is there a need to formally register the intent to fly under PART-NCO?

Interesting that “RNAV 5 (formerly B-RNAV), RNAV 1 (P-RNAV) and RNP APCH (GPS approaches) require no approval” but I’ll need to check the PBN navigation equipment (GNS 530W) status.

ETGR, United Kingdom

Before I found my hangar space I was looking around in South Sweden for some suitable Airstrip.

Due to lack of empty hangars and preferable within 30min driving from my home I had ESML (Sturup), ESML (Landskrona), ESTA (Ängelholm) and ESTL (Ljungbyhed).
My flying club is located at ESML, 15min by car and finally there was one space left.

First I wanted to be located at some of the bigger airports with Instrument Approaches, but ESML is 1200m long asphalt and I can divert to ESML/ESTA if needed due to weather.

@Grep_mp: Are you living in Cannes/Mandelieu?
- Are in Mandelieu 3-4 times a year in our apartment, will try to fly from Sweden this summer.

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

Steven_P wrote:

Is there a need to formally register the intent to fly under PART-NCO?

No. The kind of aircraft and operations determine what part of the EASA Air Ops regulation to apply. Part-NCO automatically applies when you fly a non-complex (in the EASA sense) aircraft and don’t do anything commercial.. (And it even applies in a few specific cases with complex aircraft and/or commercial ops.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Steven_P wrote:

I had not considered that but having reviewed https://pplir.org/representation-and-partnership/ as directed by the CAA website PART-NCO makes complete sense given my flying and future aircraft aspirations fall within scope. Is there a need to formally register the intent to fly under PART-NCO?

No need to register! What I mean is that if you are flying under non-commercial rules, SEP, you should be OK with devising your own “cloud-break procedure”, although depends on you risk appetite – what is your personal minima? What is the lowest cloud base you would accept if flying SEP?

EGTR

Thank you. Personal minima depends upon the environment, i.e. are there tall trees or power lines on the approach to the runway

ETGR, United Kingdom

Darkfixer wrote:

@Grep_mp: Are you living in Cannes/Mandelieu?
- Are in Mandelieu 3-4 times a year in our apartment, will try to fly from Sweden this summer.

Not in Mandelieu but 20m far when no traffic. That’s a nice trip from Sweden!

LFMD, France

Even though Germany has maybe the worst NAA, I tend to see it as a sweet spot in Europe, if you are keen on flying the North and South of Europe.

I chose a base with:

• crossed runways, so I always get home safe under all wind conditions
  • gasoline at the field (MoGas self supplied and Avgas)
  • annual flat fee for landings, so turning the extra traffic circuits for training are no money issue
  • reasonable (actually pretty cheap for the area) hangar fee
  • open 24/7 with NightVFR ability
  • airspace G, so even crawling home at marginal weather is an option
  • 3.000+ feet of tarmac runway
  • unpublished RNAV approach, so ability to simulate IFR in case shit on tha fan, but not forced to follow strict ATC procedures
  • vital flying club separate from airport operations (two entities to reduce club interfering with ops)
  • unfortunately no reputable restaurant, but on the plus side – forces one to fly to eat
Germany
Sign in to add your message